Death deities in Greyhawk

AbeTheGnome

First Post
Is there a deity similar to Kelemvor from FR in the standard pantheon (i.e. Greyhawk). You know, a lawful neutral protector of the dead, anti-necromancy type god?

meomwt

First Post
Wee Jas, the Goddess of peaceful death and magic. Her neutral clerics rebuke Undead, rather than Turning them, but Wee Jas is LN, so there is no problem building an LG Cleric who would then Turn Undead.

Arkhandus

First Post
I don't think there is. Closest I can find or think of is Wee Jas, but she's only anti-necromancy when it concerns some (most?) of the Suel dead (she is considered the guardian of Sueloise souls heading to the afterlife, if I recall), since she's a Suel goddess (the Suel are the white, sorta-germanic race of Oerth).

grodog

Hero
Roger E. Moore's old elven pantheon (which was adopted by Gygax in GH per Dragon 71, page 5), includes the god Labelas Enoreth, who can fulfill a non-necromancy god of the dead role (though he's not lawful).

airwalkrr

Adventurer
I believe clerics of Wee Jas are supposed to cast commune or a similar spell before animating the dead to see if the Ruby Sorceress approves. I might be misremembering or something, but that certainly sounds in line with Kelemvor.

Ripzerai

Explorer
You could use Allitur, god of ethics and propriety. He's not explicitly focused on undead, but the ethics of creating them would fall under his purview.

I think of him as the Flannae judge of the dead, since Nerull is more about murder than judging people.

kenobi65

First Post
Wee Jas is probably closest from an alignment standpoint, though her motivations may be considerably different.

Keep in mind that the idea of a non-evil god of death in the FR pantheon is "new" -- Kelemvor was a human who ascended to his post during the Time of Troubles, only a few years ago (no more than 15 or 20; I don't have my books in front of me) in the FR timeline.

Previous deities who held his position had a far more sinister outlook.

Remove ads