Death deities in Greyhawk

WhatGravitas

Explorer
airwalkrr said:
I believe clerics of Wee Jas are supposed to cast commune or a similar spell before animating the dead to see if the Ruby Sorceress approves. I might be misremembering or something, but that certainly sounds in line with Kelemvor.
IIRC, in Dragon "Core Beliefs", it was said, that Wee Jas clerics is against binding the souls in mindless undead, thus they cast "animate dead" in a special fashion, where the soul is not involved, but only the body is animated, a bit like a negative energy golem.

Of course, I could be completely wrong.

But I agree, Wee Jas is closest to it and a fun goddess. Perhaps because of the "Core Beliefs"-article.

Garnfellow

Explorer
cildarith said:
Wee Jas' alignment was listed as Lawful neutral (evil) in her Dragon #88 debut.

Yes, I seem to remember her illustration from that issue caused my teenage self to seriously reconsider my alignment, which had hitherto been chaotic something.

Rhun

First Post
cildarith said:
Wee Jas' alignment was listed as Lawful neutral (evil) in her Dragon #88 debut.

Wouldn't her debut of been in the World of Greyhawk boxed set in 1983, prior to Dragon #88? I'm betting the alignment is the same there, though.

Bardsandsages

First Post
Wee Jas is a good choice if you just want a non-evil god from the official core products. If you want something specifically more in line with Kelemvor, you might be interested in our Gods of the Dead.. One of the four gods, Nadru, shares some of Kelemvor's philosophy.

Ripzerai

Explorer
Celestian, as patron of Astral travel, probably has some responsibility over souls that travel through his domain on the way to the Outer Planes. He's neutral (good tendencies, like his brother Fharlanghn).

grodog

Hero
Rhun said:
Wouldn't her debut of been in the World of Greyhawk boxed set in 1983, prior to Dragon #88? I'm betting the alignment is the same there, though.

Dragon 88 was August 1984, and the GH box set was 1983, so the box set's mention of Wee Jas does predate the Dragon articles; Gygax's original "The Deities & Demi-Gods of the World of Greyhawk" articles in Dragon did predate the 1983 box set, since they started in issue 67 (November 1982).

Also, not all of the gods as detailed in the first series of articles were identical in the boxed set (compare Murlynd from Dragon 71 to his version in the box set to his version in EX2, for example).

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Well, the Olman gods are a weird group that are kind of all Death gods... So, you might be able to use Quetzalcoatl, Olman god of honor (and death). Most of the others were too evil:

Tlaloc, god of rain and fertility (and death)
Huitzilopochtli, god of war (and death)
Tezcatlipoca, god of deceit (and death)
Camazotz, god of bats (and death)
Mictlantecuhtli, god of death (and death)
Xuxeteanlahucuzolazapaminaco, god of gibbering mouthers (and death)

Yeah, the rest were all evil. And really, really confusing. (based off Aztec gods, of course, but only kinda paying lip service to the Aztecs. Then again, there were rumors that the Olman gods were actually supposed to be the Aztec gods who left Earth and took over the Olman people on Oerth...)

GM_RPGA_GREGF

Villager
Thanks to this Article, Otis was has just returned as a Ghoul, for my Return to ToEE Campaign.

He was returned by Wee Jas to help finish what he started. In the past 15 years since his death, he has been searching for leads and following up any words on resurgences to the Temple of Elemental Evil. He has hunted cultists, and done what was possible to keep the area clear of any resurgence. The recent incursions into Hommlet and the ruined Moathouse escaped his vigilance, but he has done what he is able to protect his brother and family still living in Hommlet.

Otis the Returned (Disguised)
Otis the Returned (Ghoul)

Remove ads