• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Death from above, an unorthadox strategy

Fieari

Explorer
Torm said:
Nope. 20d6! And that, only because it has a cap in the rules.
Err.. wait. 1100lbs is 5d6 damage, and then falling 50' adds another 5d6 damage, for a total of 10d6. Where do you get not only 20d6, but potentially MORE than 20d6 if the cap weren't there? 50' can't cap out. You need to fall 200' before you cap out...

Unless your DM rule 0'd at that moment, which would be fine, but that isn't the RAW.

Al

First Post
niastri said:
Standard falling accelleration under normal circumsances is 10 meters/second squared. (10m/s^2)

After 1 second, the rock has fallen 10 meters, and accelerated to 20 meters/second

At 2 seconds, it has fallen 30 meters and accelerated to 30 meters/second

At 3 seconds it has fallen 60 meters and squashed whatever was trying to move out from under it.

Terminal velocity for a rock is much greater than that for a feather for instance, and would be based on a few variables, but that sort of acceleration would continue at least out to 100+meters/second, especially for a rock of normal density. The maximum damage from a fall rules is based on terminal velocity (if they put that much thought into the rule) of a person or creature, not of a rock. So the 6-7 seconds thought would have to be from a VERY high place.

I also imagine it would be a very high spot check to notice where the Monk disappeared to. Even if you saw it, you would only get a Reflex save in my game, not be able to move out of the way of something going that fast automatically.

So, touch attack on the square of the target by the monk, spot check by the target to see the attack, and then possible reflex save by the target to avoid getting squashed is how I would rule it.

Quite right, my bad. I was working in feet instead of metres, so calculating the distance to fall 200m instead of 200'. I think that DnD does that to you- insidiously remove all knowledge of the metric system :).

In light of that, I'd probably go for PCat's suggestion re: the Reflex save.

Zipher

First Post
I would go with ranged touch attack.. but with the massive negative range modifiers (use 10ft for range increment?).

And I would allow a reflex save... (but at a fixed DC of say 15?) since as the size of the rock increases (your ability to dodge decreases but your ability to spot it earlier increases.. thus canceling out)

Why? Because anything the PC's think of, the BBEG can think of!... and I'm sure the PC's won't want to die from a surprise hail of 500d6 damage rocks automatically... :confused:

-Zipher

Last edited:

Vrecknidj

Explorer
You could also cast Shrink Item on a boulder and then toss the pebble into someone else's Bag of Holding. Twenty four hours later, there's this big unheard rip, and the contents of the Bag are . . . elsewhere.

Dave

Remove ads