Death of characters?

Sir Dieterich

First Post
Could somebody, for the love of cake, tell me why every single person that dies, immediatley comes back to life!? Its impossible to complete anything in here anymore. You kill your worst enemy and they come back. Occasionally there is a person who stays dead (god bless them) but this is just becoming absolutely insane. After my last thread I am ready for anything, but I just need to know what has happened...

I only have one real answer to that, and it's pretty damn basic. Freedom of Destiny. Need to refresh your memory? It's in the CoC, and I highly suggest you read over it.

Itzquahpilli

First Post
One of the things we have to face is the fact that, quite simply, nobody wants to die and stay dead. People have a hard time letting go of their characters. And with as easy a way of returning to life as getting true resurrection from one of the powerful clerics for free (which, I believe, has 25,000 gold of material components involved in the casting, which nobody seems to care about) it's commonplace to be back five minutes later (which, by the way, is less than the casting time for that spell). And those who don't have access to clerics, instead of accepting defeat, come up with things like "Oh, I can't die until I've fulfilled my oath." Those who don't have an actual reason to come back need to stay dead, not pull things like say their death was only a rumor when it had, originally, actually happened.
Another thing to take into account is the fact that, if you're good-aligned, you'll likely enjoy your afterlife, and may not want to come back. Such things should be balanced against what your character has to live for before deciding to come back. To my fellow players of outsider characters, remember - outsiders cannot be resurrected by any normal means. I'm sure that that means nothing to anyone except that they'll need to take an oath or the like so that they can come back, or that they'll just get recreated in their home plane and sent right back here, but unless someone has a good, verifiable, rules-compatible reason to bring him back, if Itz dies, he's dead. And I hope that somebody else - for once - will do the same and stay dead.
To those who really don't want to lose their characters, please, just don't fight, and if you have to, run away when things look bad. There's a reason people in combat have, for the last few thousand years, retreated when the fight turned against them. Live to fight another day without being a snert or yet another free resurrection. At the very least, pay back the cleric - even the most kind-hearted and wealthy healer will be hard-pressed to keep paying for all the diamond dust.
I expect this thread to have absolutely no effect on the game whatsoever, though, no matter what people say here. People just don't want their chars to stay dead.

Kallikrates

First Post
Hey...be happy I got two of mine almost dead. Now I just need for them to be finished off. Took over two years for me to finally get Azrael and Pana to die. *cries* Now I got 3 or 4 left.

I *tried* avoiding a sermon-long post to this, but y'all talked me into it. The pure basis of this game--and yeah, this is a game--is 'fantasy'. Novel concept, right? Not entirely. Let's explore this, shall we?

With this actually being 'fantasy', inspiration comes from the imagination. Another novel thought? Maybe, but hell, that's another thread altogether. The rules, boys and girls, that are to be followed are described in length in the CoC. What we do in ISRP is derived from DnD mostly, but not played to the strict guidelines as though you were to play as a LARP, tabletop, whatever. Yes, some of the same rules apply, but not all. Hence, the term 'freeform'. Not aware of the term? Here's the nutshell version: You do not have to strictly adhere to the Player's Handbook, DMG, etc to play here. Your imagination is allowed to contribute, people!

As far as the resurrections go, who in the hell is gonna sit here and recite every last ounce of a true res spell? Also, not many people here go into the minute detail of spells and such because of time constraints. So, for timely game play, the spells are minimized into what they've become. Keep RL things in mind during this, it may be relevant. Then, there are those of us that run multiple characters at once. I'm not talking one or two...I'm talking five or six plus at once. Kinda hard to be proper running that many for x amount of storylines.

And as for people wanting to keep their characters, well duh! Who wouldn't, unless they were bored with them? And reason enough may come from player's/players' desires, storyline, etc. There's too much going into these things, especially when some characters are in high demand. Anyway, the whole point is to have fun, not turn a bunch of people into RP Neo-Nazis.

Enelya

First Post
Here, here, Sky! I must agree. If a character death does not involve you, do not complain how the players who it does involve play it.

Remove ads