• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Death saving throw count

Penthau

Explorer
When does the death saving throw count reset? For example, someone is dying and fails 2 saves before being raised back to positive hp. Later in the encounter, they are dropped back to negative and fail another save. Are they dead or have they only failed one save?

I was playing in a group that said that it resets at encounter start, but I thought it should reset each time the dying condition started. Pointers to the applicable rules would be appreciated.

Shin Okada

Explorer
As PHB P.295 says "Lower than 10: You slip one step closer to death. If
you get this result three times before you take a rest, you die."

So, only a rest (short or long) resets your death saving throw counts.

Technically, an encounter ends when one side (usually who wins the encounter) takes a short rest or an extended rest. So, a rest is a apart of "end of an encounter".

Thus, basically, it resets at the end of an encounter.

Penthau

Explorer
Thank you, that is certainly clear. It's amazing how many times I read right over that and it never sunk into my brain.

As PHB P.295 says "Lower than 10: You slip one step closer to death. If
you get this result three times before you take a rest, you die."

So, only a rest (short or long) resets your death saving throw counts.

Technically, an encounter ends when one side (usually who wins the encounter) takes a short rest or an extended rest. So, a rest is a apart of "end of an encounter".

Thus, basically, it resets at the end of an encounter.

Mort_Q

First Post
Happens to the best of us.

I played for a long time thinking that it was 3 failed saves before an extended rest and you died.

abyssaldeath

First Post
Happens to the best of us.

I played for a long time thinking that it was 3 failed saves before an extended rest and you died.

I believe quite a few of us have done that. I also believe that is why they no longer use the term "rest". I've noticed they now always say both "short rest" and "extended rest" when they want both to apply.

Mort_Q

First Post
That's bad ass. I might have to implement that rule in my Darksun campaign next summer!

You're evil.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.

I'd wait to see what they come up with for Dark Sun before I started making house rules, but to each their own. :p

Gryphon04

First Post
Hey all,
I found out about the death saving throws the hard way like eveyone else and actually had a pc die in LFR. I was not happy. Is anyone else unhappy with the way the rule is written? What would be the point of going through all the trouble of saving the pc only to have him die on a single missed save? Unless, the rule changes all my pcs will stay out of combat during an encounter until the encounter is resolved. The other players will hate it but a pc would do what he could to prevent himself from dying (unlyess he doesn't mind sacrificing himself and dying all the time).
The saves should be reset after a pc recieves healing OR reset after takign a second wind which should count as a short rest during combat. Anyway that is how I will run it in my home games. I sent an emil to WotC regarding my dislike of the rule but have nto recieved any reply.
Thoughts, questions and concerns anyone?

but a pc would do what he could to prevent himself from dying

Nonsense. If the character wasn't willing to risk death, he'd stay home and be a baker. Adventurers are adventurers because they're willing to take risks.

4E is already very generous on the chances to avoid death. Making the death saves reset with any sort of healing would just be way over the top.

Tai

First Post
Unless you're in a pretty nasty situation, it should be possible for your party to get you up before you even make a death save. I know it's not always possible, but that's kind of the point. Staying out of combat is a pretty extreme response to finding this out - fights are supposed to be dangerous. If you're really worried about it, play a warforged, since they can't fail death saves without a penalty...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads