• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deathlock Wights & Reanimating

MarauderX

Explorer
The deathlock wights can reanimate another undead, so it looks like they can run around in a pack and do so with one another as well as other undead. Can separate wights do this with one fallen undead more than once?

In my estimation, yes. A RBDM might find the best undead+2 and surround him with deathlock wights to kept him going.

If this is the case, does this reset the target undead's encounter powers?

R Reanimate (minor; encounter) ✦ Healing, Necrotic
Ranged 10; aff ects a destroyed undead creature of a level no
higher than the deathlock wight’s level + 2; the target stands as
a free action with a number of hit points equal to one-half its
bloodied value. This power does not aff ect minions.

The deathlock wights can reanimate another undead, so it looks like they can run around in a pack and do so with one another as well as other undead. Can separate wights do this with one fallen undead more than once?
There's nothing there which says otherwise, so sure.
In my estimation, yes. A RBDM might find the best undead+2 and surround him with deathlock wights to kept him going.
It's exactly the same ability that Clerics/Warlords/Artificers get, except more restricted as to when you can use it(mostly to make it more dramatic). It probably wouldn't be that crazy. (Although it could get quite interesting)
If this is the case, does this reset the target undead's encounter powers?
No.

Drunken Master

First Post
Why not? Is there a section in the RAW that denies the powers reset?

An encounter power, of course, can only be used once per encounter. In between encounters, if the monster rested for 5 minutes, sure, the power can reset. I don't think being destroyed (even temporarily) counts as "resting".

An encounter power, of course, can only be used once per encounter. In between encounters, if the monster rested for 5 minutes, sure, the power can reset. I don't think being destroyed (even temporarily) counts as "resting".

well just being a devils advacate here...if a fight laste longenough and an undead was down for 50 rds then it 'rested' 5 mins so maybe

Why not? Is there a section in the RAW that denies the powers reset?
Players handbook, page 54.
"An encounter power can be used once per encounter. You need to take a short rest before you can use one again."

Has the Undead taken a short rest? no? Then it doesn't get it back. Yes, the ability doesn't specifically say it doesn't, but it also doesn't specifically say t doesn't give +20 to attack & damage either, it's assumed that the power only has the effects it says it has.

MarauderX

Explorer
Players handbook, page 54.
"An encounter power can be used once per encounter. You need to take a short rest before you can use one again."

Has the Undead taken a short rest? no? Then it doesn't get it back. Yes, the ability doesn't specifically say it doesn't, but it also doesn't specifically say t doesn't give +20 to attack & damage either, it's assumed that the power only has the effects it says it has.

I was looking as if the newly animated undead would be considered as fresh for the battle.

MeMeMeMe

First Post
I was looking as if the newly animated undead would be considered as fresh for the battle.

Except they aren't fresh: they only have 1/4 their full Hit Points. As noted above, this is exactly the same as when a PC has been knocked out of the fight and the cleric revives him - he's active, but far from fresh, and certainly hasn't rested.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads