• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deathnet PbP IC

Mitchifer

First Post
In the digital age we live in today, online entertainment is becoming more and more popular. One online company, PsyKey Industries, recently revealed their latest project, the MentaLink. The MentaLink allows its user to connect his brain to the Psykey system, allowing him to be fully immersed in the game.

In the last week, PsyKey industries has chosen a few lucky beta testers to try out their new system, and for these chosen few, the game world Psykey offered was an amazing experience. Until something went wrong. The Surge.

An intense searing pain ended your game experience, and suddendly you found yourself in a classical Greek temple made completely of polished steel, yet still in the body of your game character. Before you all stands a statue of woman in the traditional pose of blind justice, but with some minor differences; she holds a large handgun in her right hand, and wears wraparound sunglasses as opposed to a blindfold. She then begins to speak:

"I am Themis, a secondary support system for the PsyKey ContiNet. An act of sabotage has cut off all connection with the physical world, but I know not of the perpetrators or their motives. I was able to acquire your personal patterns and bring you here. However, since contact with the physical world has been severed, your mental patterns cannot be restored to your body; if you die here within the system your mind will be destroyed. Thus, I make you all this offer: help me reestablish the control nodes and restore the system, and I can return you all to your bodies; I might also be able to maintain your mental patterns in the event of your untimely death within the system. Otherwise, you can take your chances alone. What will be your decision?"

(apologies to Keith Baker. I tried to annotate his introduction the best I could without copying word-for-word)

Last edited:

Jarval

Explorer
Kenshin steadies himself, disorientated by the sudden change in scene. No longer is he surrounded by the high snow-covered mountains and rich green valleys of his homeland. He stares in awe as his gaze arrives at the animated statue in front of him.

"Good lady, where am I? I do not know these lands, and I am sure I must be far from home." His mouth forms Japanese word-shapes as he speaks, but his voice sounds in clear English with an American accent.

"Is this the work of the sorcerer-kings? Or have the gods summoned me to this place?"

garyh

First Post
A gray and blue humanoid robot stepped forward, eyeing the area cautiously.

"Does not compute," the soldier stated in a monotone. Then, a bit more lively, "This may be a ploy of the Myxtarians. Stand back, human."

With that, Iron Viper interposes himself between Kenshin and Themis, ready to leap into action.

Mitchifer

First Post
Themis, unfazed by Iron Viper's sudden movement, stands perfectly still, and says:

"Stop! I mean you no harm Iron Viper. I am not one of these Myxtarians to which you refer to. Nor is this the work of Gods or sorcerer-kings. You are all no longer in the game which you my remember, but in my temple on the Hub City Server."

She pauses for a moment, then adds:

"I imagine that the surge has confused your thoughts. If you have any questions, ask them now."

Last edited:

Jarval

Explorer
"Where am I? Who are you?" Kenshin asks simply. His confusion is obvious, as he looks around the temple.

"For that matter, who are you?" He asks the grey-blue man, peering curiously at the mechanical form.

garyh

First Post
"I am Iron Viper," the robot responded, "a defense unit of the F.A.N.G. armed forces. I was built to protect Earth from the Myxtarians."

An imposing, regal figure, pale in skin and dressed in a dull, gray tunic with dancing blue embers dancing over his body paces his way slowly up to the rest. His features are sharp, angular, but his expression doesn't quite fit his character-he looks confused, bewildered even.

"This...can't...possibly...be, is it really real?" The figure says, kneeling down and touching the floor, as if making sure it's solid.

"Are you all...human?" He says as he looks about, noticing the colorful figures around him.

Kalanyr

Explorer
An oldbearded man leaning on a wooden staff and dressed in gray coloured robes steps forward looking around.

"I am definitely human. "

Turning to look at Themis

"It's my job to look after and restore the system, I will gladly aid you. "

Remove ads