Debut: Ardent

Nahat Anoj

First Post
How would you describe an ardent? I'm having a little trouble with what their identity is beyond a "psychic warlord." Or is that the best definition?
I view the ardent as someone who is constantly transmitting emotions. His allies can't help but be heartened by these transmissions, while his enemies find them a source of annoyance and despair. IMO, the ardent leads less by a firm command of tactics or keen understanding of motivation than he does by simply making his allies feel the way he wants them to feel.

The build of ardent that was released in the preview seems to focus on creating a calm state for allies, allowing them to think more clearly and quickly. The other build seems to focus on creating a more excited state for allies, allowing them to attack harder and with more gusto.

If the warlord leads from the outside in (by applying knowledge of tactics and motivation to augment allies), then I think the ardent leads from the inside out (promoting mental states in his allies that lets them function at their best).

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Okay, so maybe this is kind of an empath after all. The ardent is pure emotion. So rather than using advanced intellect to utilize psionic power, it's the strength of his emotions.

Sound about right?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Right. I'll be using these guys as bad guys; I really like the idea of psionic entities clothed in flesh who use their emotions to manipulate and influence their foes. I'll use kalashtar stats, slap on the ardent, give it a different appearance and have a genuinely scary inhuman foe.

Rechan

Adventurer
Right. I'll be using these guys as bad guys; I really like the idea of psionic entities clothed in flesh who use their emotions to manipulate and influence their foes. I'll use kalashtar stats, slap on the ardent, give it a different appearance and have a genuinely scary inhuman foe.
I could also see that route taken with fey.

But instead of being psionic, and using its own emotions, they simlpy manipulate the emotions of their foes.

But I do like your take, too.

Remove ads