• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deck of Many things: Your best and worst moments

phoenixgod2000

First Post
So I picked up the actual deck of many things in gaming store as a capstone for the end of the upcoming adventure and I want to hear people's fondest and least fond memories. I'll start:

I'm fifteen and playing a duel Katana wielding fighter/bard with kit that made me an expert at weapon displays (Blade I think). I've got a low charisma and pasty grey skin. So I draw four cards and I get the card that gives me an 18 Chr, I get the kill the next monster and advance in level, I get gain 10k exp and last but not least I get the fight death card.

So I win the battle, advance 2 levels in the blink of an eye and become such a narcissist I start wearing a stainless steel Vega mask to protect my newly pretty face. Since I'm higher level than the rest of the group everyone tosses me in front of every fight and eventually I'm killed quite pathetically thanks to kobolds in Dragon Mountain. I was sad.

whats your story?

Crothian

First Post
Back in second edition we had a string of 5 PCs picking from the deck and everyone managed to pick the wishes card as one of theirs!!

Clueless

Webmonkey
Black jack. We (or rather they) played black jack... it didn't go particularly well from there. As I recall there was at least one death and a 'send to void'.

sakkara

First Post
The group I am currently DMing just found the Deck.

Player 1, Card 1 - Donjon (imprisoned)
Player 2, Card 1 - Void (body remains, soul elsewhere)
Player 3, Card 1 - Fight Death (he won)
Player 4, Card 2 - Donjon (imprisoned)
Player 5, No cards! (He's was the smart one!).

I could not believe how bad their luck was...

Sakkara

Hussar

Legend
My very first experience was way back in 1e, playing with my older brother. I was playing a 1e monk and drew the King of Diamonds - +50 k xp right off the shot. Bumped me two or three levels in one go. I think I got screwed over on the magic item though. :)

I had more experiences with bags of beans though. The rewrite of the bag of beans in Dragon and the Encyclopedia Magica books led me to use them far too often. :)

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
I've been through the deck in a couple of campaigns, but a nice moment was when I was DMing and the 1/2 orc barbarian first drew the card that gave him 10,000 gp worth of gems. The next card? Lose all your wealth!

Shemeska

Adventurer
Playing in a RttToEE campaign. Imagine a group of the most anti-hack'n'slash players, playing that under the world's worst, most RP inept DM of all time. A week into the game and it was becoming obvious how wretched the DM'ing was, and we were having fun breaking the game effectively (and it was following this experience, when we abandoned that game, that I started DM'ing).

"And your stats go up by X." - DM
*5 minutes pass*
"Oh, forgot to read this part." - DM
"Hmm?" - players
"Oh, yeah. Tharizdun owns your souls now. Probably should have mentioned that." - DM

Faced with that, as I said, we started going over the top. Which brings us back to the Deck of Many Things:

"I pick up a pair of cards." - player 1
"I pick up three." - player 2
"I pick 5. ...Wimps." - player 3
"I go back and pick 4 more. Suicide, it's the only answer." - player 1
"I giggle and pick 9." - player 4

The void of course was the first card that got picked by anyone. ;)

That and the other results have become running jokes, and the campaign "went on hiatus" for Xmas a week later, and none of us came back after the holiday.

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
Best and Worst day (I've never used the darn deck since).

Me: Drew 1 Card. Drew Moon, got 4 Wishes. I start planning what to do with them.
Player 2: Drew twice. Drew Key, gained 10,000 XP. Then drew Void.
Player 3: Drew 1 Card. Void.
Player 4: Drew Twice. Drew Talons, Lost all Items and Property. Then drew Skull. He was killed.
Player 5: Drew three times (what's the worst that could happen). Drew the Fates (avoid fate once), then Drew the Void. Used fates to avoid the Void. Then drew Void again.

All the players look at me expectantly. Ugh. :mad: Luckily the DM just handwaved the process of getting everyone back.

That's what friends are for though, I guess. At least we were able to get out of it in the end. :)

Encountered the deck twice.

The first time, I drew the wishes and got three of them. Then I used two of the wishes to fix bad card draws of other characters. Then one of said other characters proceeds to screw the party over. Shouldv'e let him rot in the Void....

Remove ads