• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

deck of many things

roundviper

First Post
I have used the deck of many things before and found it lacking in imagination. Does anyone have a deck that they have created they would like to share? I like to have a mixture of both helpful and harmful cards in the deck. I have made one deck that had 52 cards in it. It was fun to use!

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
If you have it go cherry pick some of the better odd things from the Chaos Magic Surges table from the old 2e Chaos Magic supplement. There's some pure gold in there.

Dark Dragon

Explorer
Years ago, I made a Deck of Many Things with some cards of Magic the Gathering. Title and illustration of the cards more or less fitted to the effect of the respective card. In addition to the standard cards of the DMG, I've added some more special cards.

Coercion (black): solution of the next problem the PC encounters
Enlightened Tutor (white): gets a useful magic item and 10% of the xp needed for the next level
Lotus Petal (artefact): free Wish
Armor of Faith (white): the lowest ability and the primary ability rise by 1 (roll if more than one primary ability exists)
Hunting Moa (green): if the next encountered monster is killed by the PC alone and without any help from his friends, he gets enough xp to rise to the next level
Winds of Change (red): the PC can opt to get himself around a situation
Castle (white): gains a small castle, CHA increases by 2
Treasure Hunter (white): gains a treasure map and a magical weapon
Gemstone Mine (land): gains 20 pieces of jewelry or 50 gems
Mind Warp (black): INT is reduced by 1d4 points, option to draw another card
Remove Soul (blue): can't be resurrected unless divine intervention, succeeds all saves vs. massive damage
Minion of Leshrac (black): enmity with a powerful creature from another plane
Touch of Death (black): combat with one of Death's servants; if friends try to help, they'll each face one of Death's servants as well
Shattering Pulse (red): all magic items of the PC are destroyed
Serra Bestiary (white): imprisoned in a magic cage (or spell imprisonment)
Wake of Destruction (red): all gems, coins, and nomagic valuable are lost
Coils of the Medusa (black): -3 on all saves vs. petrification effects
Mirror (ertefact): reversed alignment
Emmessi Tome (artefact): gains 20% of xp needed for the next level, or must draw 2 more cards
Mind Ravel (black): xp of the last two sessions are subtracted (=lost), option to draw another card
Natural Spring (green): gains permanently 8 extra hit points
Drain Life (black): hit points are permanently reduced by 8
Clone (blue): the PC must fight a clone of himself alone
Energy Arc (gold): gains a spell-like ability (roll 1d3):
- Telekinesis (as the spell, 1/day)
- Telepathic Bond, Lesser (as the spell, 1/day)
- Levitation (as the spell, 1/day)
Pox (black): ages to the next age level, CHA or CON are permanently reduced by 1 (roll)
Survival of the Fittest (green): must fight alone 2 foes rolled from the table below or have CON permanently reduced by 2.

Monsters for Survival of the Fittest:
First, roll two times 1d6 for the category, then roll two times with 2d10

d6 gives 1,2, or 3: d6 gives 4,5, or 6:
roll monster with 2d10: roll monster with 2d10:
2: Flesh Golem 2: Huge Spider
3: Djinn 3: Clay Golem
4: Cryo Hydra with 7 heads 4: Ghost
5: Behir 5: Pyro Hydra with 12 heads
6: Otyugh 6: Gorgon
7: Bulette 7: Giant Slug
8: Chimaera 8: Chuul
9: Drider 9: Giant Scorpion (huge)
10: Mantikor 10: Hydra with 13 heads
11: Fire Lizard 11: Frost Giant
12: Hydra with 10 heads 12: Will o' Wisp
13: Hill Giant 13: Rustmonster
14: Water Naga 14: Couatl
15: Stone Giant 15: Fire Giant
16: Umber Hulk 16: Salamander (noble)
17: Mummy 17: Phase Spider
18: Allip 18: Rakshasa (Ruhk)
19: Ettin 19: Spectre
20: Troll 20: no foe

Diego_Gamling

First Post
Why not just put twists on the deck? Allow for complete DMs Discretion. my deck is as follows:
Card Name - - - effect - - -
Balance Balance is brought to you (This could be non alignment based, maybe more like a karmic judgement?)
Comet
You will be greatly rewarded for proving your worth (perhaps in the form of a quest item, or treasure?)
Donjon You become trapped (maybe with a serious dilemma, or even within your own psychy?)
Euryale Weakness becomes you (perhaps a statistic penalty, or some sort of disease)
Fates Plea to the fates to change your own (this could be an actual role play experience)
Flames Dark forces regard you (I like to plague the character with a paranormal activity style demon)
Fool The price of the deck is laid upon you. Draw again(I like giving a 10% XP loss and forcing a 2 card redraw)
Gem Valuable treasures will be within your grasp (this is something with more monetary value than practical value)
Idiot Your mind is plagued (I like the intelligence penalty, but schizophrenia is cool too...)
Jester
Luck comes only to those bold enough. Revel in your good fortune, or draw twice more (+10% total XP or draw)
Key Unlock your potential (I like psionic abilities)
Knight You will find a new ally (introduced when its convenient)
Moon Great power is at your fingertips (I like the 1-4 wishes)
Rogue An enemy will find you (when convenient...or inconvenient if youre the player...)
Ruin Riches will be lost to you (some wealth is somehow lost, maybe the PC is robbed?)
Skull Death seeks you (sort of like final destination?)
Star The power of the cosmos is forged with you (I keep bonuses to attributes)
Sun
Magic will weave its way to you (acquire a magical item or weapon)
Talons
Magic will be torn from you (lose a magic item somehow)
Throne
Stand before God (Plead with God for favour. If the plea wasnt satisfactory, theyre penalized. If it was, they get something nice)
Vizier Knowledge is but a question away (ask a question and get a direct answer)
The Void You will lose yourself (whether the original meaning is kept or not, this effect can lead to some interesting quests)

If you really want to mix it up, theres an awesome, uniquely expanded deck of many things on kickstarter right now. It has beautiful artwork and never before seen cards too. The currently unlocked card is called 'The Beginning', and my effects for it are as follows:

The Beginning Neither time nor fate restrain you (I transport the party back in time to a pivotal point in their
history that could gleam extra information or something like that)

You should check out the new deck, its AMAZING, just go to kickstarter.com and search for 'Deck of Many Things'.

Regards,
Michael..

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads