• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dee or Die!! Do you say dee-6 or die-6?

Do you DEE or DIE?!

• I say DEE-20, DEE-12, DEE-6 etc.

Votes: 578 88.0%
  • I say DIE-20, DIE-12, DIE-6 etc.

Votes: 44 6.7%
  • I say something else (or I'm just trying to be difficult with this poll!)

Votes: 35 5.3%

Pbartender

First Post
reanjr said:
drow because I still can't see any reason someone would put a 'w' on the end unless they intended it that way.

Oh really? Perhaps you should have a chat with Mr. Webster...

For example: blow, bow, crow, flow, glow, know, low, mow, row, slow, snow, sow, stow, throw, tow, aglow, below, bestow, escrow, outgrow.

But that's beside the point...

A HYPOTHESIS:

"Die", rather than "dee" could be a result of the 'single dice type' games... Like WEG Star Wars or 7th Sea, for example. In those games, the notation usually looks like 6D or 1D. It represents the number of dice (usually six- or ten-sided) and is often pronouced 'six dice' or 'one die', since the type of dice is assumed.

Those who regularly play these games, or began roleplaying with these games could be dragging the pronunciation along with them.

Frostflame

First Post
D6 would be day-zes since I use the dutch version. In english it would be dee-six. simply like you pronounce the "D" in the alphabet

CalicoDave

Explorer
I pronounce it DEE-6.

I pronounce if Drow as in Cow.

My group's current DM has the big bad guys as Yuan-Ti, which he insists on pronouncing "You-La-Tan". We tried to correct him but it doesn't work, so we all decided that a "You-La-Tan" is a version of Yuan-Ti specific to his world.

Cedric

First Post
I'm not trying to pad the "other" vote here, but I use them both interchangeably with about equal frequency.

Cedric

Gez

First Post
BTW: In French, the point is moot, because the letter d is named "dé" and pronounced "day", and a die is a "dé", which is pronounced, likewise, "day". In fact, when I was first introduced to RPGs and their funny dice, I thought the dX convention was a French-only thing, because I knew in English the letter dee wasn't the name of dice, making the shortcut a bigger stretch. :)

Oh, and:

Bulette = Bu lett (with French U/German Ü: a sound between the "ee" and the "oo", put the lips in the "oo" position, and the tongue in the "ee" position, and you say u), Ixitxachitl * Ishi tsha kittle (in those Aztec-or-whatever-looking names, the x letter is used for the sh sound, just to confuse people), coup de grâce = Coo duh grass (the guy responsible for writing "coo duh grah" in the pronounciation guide has been flogged to death with the rotting corpse of the one responsible for "boo-lay").

Last edited:

Psychic Warrior

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
I say dee as in the letter. That's what's there, after all.

Pronouncing drow as cow is a pet peeve of mine, because it sounds monumentally stupid. Another one is pointing to some lame "official" pronunciation source. Usually the same one that says bullette is pronounced boo LAY.

Boneheaded WotC/TSR.

I call 'em Dark Elves or Fallen Elves. Drow only exsist in the Forgotten Realms. :p

I use both die and dee.
"Roll a die 20 for initiative"
"That fireball will do 6dee6 damage".

And I, too, choose to be difficult.

Remove ads