• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deep Horizon - a char NOT to play? - NO SPOILERS pls

Ze

First Post
Hi all,

I have a doubt I'd like to share with you.
One of my friends, at his first experience as a DM, has been running his 3.0 campaign rather fine so far. He is now going to run Deep Horizon, and he has expressed a concern about my character. Mind you, he's been very nice, and he has not in any way asked me to change or retire my character. He has just expressed a concern, looking for some piece of advice.
This is why I turn to you, guys.

I play a cleric of Fharlanghn, with Travel and Luck domains. I have recently hit 9th level, and all's been good so far. Since the start of the campaign, I designed the cleric such as he would get to be very plane-hopping oriented. Which he is now (Plane Shift!).
However, my friend now wonders whether my Plane Shifting and Teleport thing will give him (little DM experience, remember) a hard time in running the module.

Since I do not know the module, and I do not want to know it, I would just like to have your opinion.
Please notice that if my friend's fears were actually well-grounded, or even if he were only slightly right, I would be more than happy to redraw my character.

Problem is, I don't know the adventure, and he has not enough experience to decide.

Thanks!

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
The module is for levels 9-12, IIRC. (I have played it.)

I seem to recall that we used Scry-Buff-Teleport on more than one occasion. But I don't know how much the DM had to change in order to accomodate that. I can't believe that the module doesn't address it somehow-- even if it is something as hokey as "You can't use teleport in the Underdark."

All things considered I would say it is more likely that the adventure will be less than fun for you, curtailing your abilities, than it is that your character's abilities will derail the adventure.

We had a wizard with teleport at the time. The adventure didn't feel like it fell apart. That's about all I can say.

Well, that, plus the adventure just wasn't very good, period.

Ze

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:
Well, that, plus the adventure just wasn't very good, period.
Well yes, I have heard that already... but having got the Italian translation of the module, we just wanted to give it a go.
Scry-Buff-Teleport should become a common trick for us too at this level, so thank you for the info, Wulf!

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Once you've completed the module, you really ought to read Wulf's storyhour on it.

I'd have to say that (based largely on his experience and my reading of the module) a rogue would have most difficulty in it. I seem to remember from his storyhour that there is one plot point which may be rather negated by a common 5th level spell and the adventure designer didn't seem to take that into account. Hopefully that won't prove to be a problem for your DM.

A cleric has pretty much always got option though - I can imagine that you'll have fun in the adventure.

roguerouge

First Post
You're running a cleric of a god with the trickery portfolio. The obvious compromise is to run the character, but your god mysteriously won't grant the plane shift spell during this module. Maybe he wants his privacy? Maybe he wants you to be more creative? Or maybe it's all been a trick and you've REALLY been serving... I've said too much already.

seans23

First Post
Ze said:
I play a cleric of Fharlanghn, with Travel and Luck domains. I have recently hit 9th level, and all's been good so far. Since the start of the campaign, I designed the cleric such as he would get to be very plane-hopping oriented. Which he is now (Plane Shift!).
However, my friend now wonders whether my Plane Shifting and Teleport thing will give him (little DM experience, remember) a hard time in running the module.

Isn't 9th level a little low for that adventure? I played that adventure with a 11th Level Cleric of Fharlanghn/ 1st level contemplative (we used 3.5 rules) with Travel, Luck, and Celerity domains, and I don't recall any unfair advantage using teleport or plane shift.

In 3.0, you would have a limit of 450 pounds for teleportation, and you'd still need a good idea where you're going.

Your DM shouldn't worry. Storywise, Fharlanghn's a good fit.

Last edited:

Ze

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
Once you've completed the module, you really ought to read Wulf's storyhour on it.
Yeah, I carefully avoided it until now, knowing we would play it one day.

roguerouge said:
Or maybe it's all been a trick and you've REALLY been serving...
:D My DM would love this. He has always had a passion for Olidammara.

seans23 said:
Isn't 9th level a little low for that adventure?
Oh, I forgot! He's running a filler between the one we just finished (The Standing Stone, set in Chult) and Deep Horizon. So, yes, we will be one or two levels higher when the module will start.

Thank you guys! And thanks for keeping it spoilers-free.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads