Deep Water and Shoals II

kenjib

First Post
Bob Aberton said:
"Yes, Mr. Thriceborn, what is it?" he asks in carefully controlled tones. "I would appreciate your help in returning the Captain to his vessel; he has a regrettable tendency to...ah, overindulge in celebration."

Vemuz looks over at the captain and then looks back to Mr. Lang. "Yes, I will help, but first a quick word?

"There's been talk among the crew... People are tense aboard the ship. You see there's talk spreading that the hands that were lost are to be replaced with Standishtowners. It's just rumor so far with the crew, but Mr. Ames told me that it's true. Well, after the incident the other night, and from some other things that have happened, this hasn't been going over too well with the crew. To be honest, nobody on ship seems to trust anyone from Standishtown.

"I fear that if these new hands will cause a disturbance on the ship, and running a tight, orderly, ship will be that much harder with dissent among the ranks. With your leave, Mr. Lang, I simply ask that you give me a chance to rustle up some hands for the ship myself - some folks that aren't from around here. I know that it's late already, and most folk from out of town have already hauled anchor, so if I can't find new hands we can keep the ones you've found. I just ask that you give me the chance, should I be so lucky as to find a few suitable candidates. Just give me until dawn."

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
kenjib said:
"Perhaps it would be best if we told him that we won their freedom gambling, though. Mr. Lang seems a bit of a stickler, eh? I can have a word with him down at the Inn if you'd like."

Malachi grimaces slightly at the suggestion about their freedom being won gambling but on reflection the realises the idea is sound

"dhey not t'ings to be won" the Half-orc says in a low tone "an' Ah be willin' t' pay if dhats wots needed t get dhem free.

Spek t' Mr Lang an' dhe Capitan if ya will..."

Once Vermuz takes leave for the Inn Malachi turns his attention back to the Orcs

"Yass," one of the Orcs says quickly. "We join dis ship, we wan' be free like you. You want we should com' 'board now? You want we should tell others?"

Turning to the Orc, Malachi thinks quickly - how do you stop every Orc in Standishtown from wanting to get on board

"Ya fam'lies" he finally says his voice a mix of compassion and uncertainty "if ya got wifes or pik'nies brin' dhem too. Aint room fer no one else. But by dhe Lady's Grace Ah'll kom back fer dhem agen"

Last edited:

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
OoC: Bob, if I returned earlier as you posted, just when did I get back to the Ship, in regards to the orc conversation etc..not that I'd ever dream of getting involved with such a heinous thing as liberating Slaves...and I definately wouldn't use Magic to help, should any of the Grace's men wish to say, help a few poor enslaved Orcs out...
Man, we would Rock with a score of orc marines wielding Halberds and snarling 'For dha Grace!'...hehehe.

IC:
Returned now to the Ship, Nico looks about to see who is up and about.
His head reeling a bit from wine and the three rums the the captain insisted he drink in Salute to (1) The Sea, (2) The Calypso's Grace, (3) 'The best Damned crew in all the World..'
All Nico wanted was a cup of black tea and one or two of those delicious Cinnamon cookies that he had bought this very afternoon. Shaking his head at the thought of 2 Gold crowns a box..for cookies...Oh, but these were worth the price, come all the way from Antidus, across the Sea. As Nico walked about the ship, he failed to notice the rain of cookie-crumbs pattering down from above as Artimus paced him above in the rigging, seeing what he was about...

Last edited:

dead_radish

Explorer
Malthas peers at the captain, swaying a bit. He hasn't had that much to drink (That was a lot of money to spend on new clothes, and he didn't want to spend all his cash), but he's tipsy. Not nearly as much as the captain, though. The White Horse is a nice place, which is lucky, since the captain would be rather upset if there were to be another brawl - in a tar's tavern, fists would have flown hours back.

When Vemuz comes in, Malthas' ears perk up, and he does his best to listen in. He has to agree that it might be best to get the Captain back to the ship - he's been under a captain who was constantly hungover - it was not a fun voyage. Perhaps it would be time to be getting back to the ship.

"Captain, perhaps this would be an ideal time to head back to the ship, to continue the celebration with those men that didn't join us, eh? I think we've blessed this particular tavern with enough of our wits and charm - we don't want them to try to make you Mayor and bind you here, eh?" He grins, and winks at the Captain.

Bob Aberton

First Post
(OOC: BUMP. Just posting to let you know that I'm still here. I'm also too busy to post a proper DM Post right now :eek: . I'll post the DM Post tomorrow, I promise.

Also, Jonah, if you could make a post between now and then, that would be awesome...)

Xael

First Post
Jonah has followed the Captain to the inn, and has mostly stayed quiet for the whole evening. He's still not finished his first drink, and mostly pretends to be drinking it. His mind is still going through the forest adventure and he wants to go rest, but he'd rather stay near the captain and others - who he knows even a little bit - than stay with the crew, most of whom's names have eluded his memory.

When the captain starts reaching state of not-so-sober, Jonah decides that he'll probably try the "Calypso-be-damned Iberrean wine" next time, since it seems to lack the rather loud side-effects of rum. When Malthas tries his probably more effective way of leering the captain back to the ship, Jonah can't help but to smile a bit (though he tries to hide that from the captain).

Sometimes diplomacy just doesn't work.

OOC: Sorry...

I finally went to see the Pirates of The Caribbean: (The?) Curse of The Black Pearl. Good movie. :)

Last edited:

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Casting about for something more to offer Malachi leans in closer and earnestly whispers to the Orcs

"Lis'en t ma words. Dheres a bad wind blowin' doan dhat old river, wolf elfs gonna bring war t dhes town. Y' be tellin' dhose dhat matter t' be goin' south or up dhe river an' fight 'longside dhem elfs - maybe dhats gonna git y some freedom too."

Bob Aberton

First Post
Vemuz,

"Oceanus only knows I'd rather not have to ship those Standishtowners as the new hands," Mr. Lang says slowly. "The probability of disrupting discipline on the ship had occurred to me, but we will be sailing in pirate waters soon, and the current crew is barely enough to work the ship, let alone man the guns. If you can find a dozen steady hands - steady hands, mind you, not the scrapings of the barrel from some local crimp - I'll dispose of the Standishtowners. Unless you buy some Orcish slaves, though, I have no idea where you'll get steady hands. All the same, I wish you luck, Mr. Thriceborn. I don't want bad blood between the fo'c'sle hands."

Malthas, Jonah, Vemuz,

"Stay here?" the Captain says, only a little too loudly. "I'd rather have my balls fed t' a Port Andorra shark. Let's up anchor, mates, an' be on our way."

He flings a handful of coins on the table, and, taking one last glass "for the road," staggers out the door, supported by Vemuz and Jonah.

With some difficulty, you manage to maneuver the tipsy captain the right direction through the equally intoxicated late-night crowds swarming the street. In fact, the majority of the sailors now on the streets is so badly off that the Captain seems relatively sober, even despite the sea chanties he insists on blaring to the heavens;

"When I was a young'un in me prime...

Way down, in Standishtown...

I courted them gals three at a time...

An' we'll roll the woodpile down!

Three flash packets lay out in th' bay...

Way down, in Standishtown..."

Malachi,

The slaves nod.

"We und'stand," says the spokesman. "We bring family, we be free. We tell dha others, go upriver, fin' de wolf elves."

He and the other slaves then look around stealthily, dropping all pretense of continuing to work, and dart off into the dark streets, afraid probably that their plans will be discovered and they will recieve another set of stripes for their troubles.

At the same time, you hear a sea chantey booming down the street in a familiar voice;

"When I was a young'un in me prime...

Way down, in Standishtown...

I courted them gals three at a time...

An' we'll roll the woodpile down!

Three flash packets lay out in th' bay...

Way down, in Standishtown..."

The Captain, supported by Mr. Thriceborn and Jonah, and accompanied by Mr. Swifthand and Mr. Lang, staggers aboard, considerably the worse for liquor and celebration.

Nicodemus,

You recall, through the haze of three toasts worth of rum, the strange conversation between Mr. Thriceborn and Mr. Legba whcih you interrupted upon your return to the ship:

Mr. Thriceborn had been saying something about supporting Mr. Legba, and about gambling for the freedom of slaves - or perhaps just telling Mr. Lang that was what happened.

Mr. Legba seemed to have been talking to some slaves on the docks; you distinctly recall the words "freedom" and "escape" having been used on more than one occasion.

(OOC: You arrived just as the slaves first addressed Malachi & Malachi told them to escape and take refuge aboard the CALYPSO'S GRACE.)

kenjib

First Post
Bob Aberton said:
"Oceanus only knows I'd rather not have to ship those Standishtowners as the new hands," Mr. Lang says slowly. "The probability of disrupting discipline on the ship had occurred to me, but we will be sailing in pirate waters soon, and the current crew is barely enough to work the ship, let alone man the guns. If you can find a dozen steady hands - steady hands, mind you, not the scrapings of the barrel from some local crimp - I'll dispose of the Standishtowners. Unless you buy some Orcish slaves, though, I have no idea where you'll get steady hands. All the same, I wish you luck, Mr. Thriceborn. I don't want bad blood between the fo'c'sle hands."

"Calypso knows where I'll find a dozen tonight, but I'll do my best. Maybe I can even get ahold of some slaves tonight, like you say. That is a good idea. Thank you Mr. Lang."

Bob Aberton said:
The Captain, supported by Mr. Thriceborn and Jonah, and accompanied by Mr. Swifthand and Mr. Lang, staggers aboard, considerably the worse for liquor and celebration.

After the captain has been dumped in his bed, Vemuz returns quickly to find Malachai. He pulls him aside where, hopefully, nobody will hear the conversation. "Malachai, I've got Mr. Lang's permission. The story is that we won them gambling from a local drunken merchant, and the new hands need to know this first thing when they show up in the morning, before anyone else gets a chance to talk to them. He wants a dozen hands though. Is it too late to find your new friend and have him rustle up a few more hands? I don't see them on the dock here."

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Approaching Malachai and vemuz on the deck, Nico strokes his chin and looks down at the docks as he says 'It seems ye two have a plan as ta where we'd be a-gettin some new Hands, eh? I wouldn't be oppossed to lendin some aid in the the areas of the Arcane to anything that'd help those poor sots escape this drudgery, just in case anyone had a mnd ta ask...'

Nico waits a moment in case either of the others wished to say anything regarding his offer. He wasn;t sure what they were about, but he had guessed a bit, and was definately of a mind to think Slavery one of the most abominable of practices. If neither comments to him, he will nod a good night and make his way down to his cabin.

Remove ads