• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Defenders of the Faith: "Called" Armour Magic Ability

FCWesel

First Post
Page 23 of the DotF has the "called" armour ability.

Does anyone know how this works exactly? Is the armour sitting on a stand or spilled out on the ground and then "called" into being worn or is it (can it be) in a bag of holding or in another room and it can be called and it just "appears" on the person? Does it magically go off the target?

Is +1 enough of a cost for this?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
I think it has to be on the same plane of existance. So while you could in theory call it from say 1,000 miles away, I don't believe you could summon in if you're in say the Elemental Plane of Earth. Or vice versa.

green slime

First Post
We have no problem with it.

It has to be on the same plane of existance, so that generally rules pout stuffing it into bags of holding and stuff like that.

But it could be locked up in the chest, in the deepest part of the ocean, and it would still instantly reallocate to its possessor if he called for it.

Delemental

First Post
Since the ability only calls the armor to you, but doesn't put it back when you're done, I think the +1 is fair. The enchantment doesn't really come into play much in a standard dungeon crawl.

Where called armor comes in handy is those attacks in the middle of the night, allowing you to put your armor on in one round instead of 5-10.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
green slime said:
But it could be locked up in the chest, in the deepest part of the ocean, and it would still instantly reallocate to its possessor if he called for it.
...unless someone had found the chest in the meantime, and become the new possessor.

James McMurray

First Post
We had a character using called armor and ruled that the armor had to be close enough to hear itself get called (assuming it takes ten on a listen check with a +0 bonus). It never caused any problems, since the character in question never tried to call the armor while it was miles away.

Metallian

First Post
My wife's character (a Paladin) bought this ability after a few combats in the city, or at night. It's very useful in those cases when a character who normally wears full-plate armor is unexpectedly drawn into combat, but, speaking as the DM, I've found it's no scarier than any other +1 ability.

Let me tell you, she wished there was a "Dismiss Armor" ability that time her character almost drowned in 20 ft. of water. :D

The Metallian

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
I have to say I agree with all the points here. It's usable only if said person takes their armor off a lot. (And really who is going to do that a lot?!) Also it's not like we talking about armor that can fly, cast spells and still grant AC bonus while not being worn. That would be a heinous and broken +1.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads