• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E defense, defense, defense

PnPgamer

Explorer
So i am looking for a build in fifth edition dnd that can take plenty of hits and withstand it. I want him to be the last guy standing, no matter what. How should i go with this build regarding... Everything?

It doesnt matter if he cannot do much damage, as long as he can do something else slightly useful.

Last edited:

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Background: soldier.
Trait: I can stare down a hellhound without flinching.
Ideal: Might. The stronger force wins.
Bond: Someone saved my life on the battlefield. I will never leave a friend behind.
Flaw: My hatred of my enemies is blind and unreasoning.

Mallus

Legend
Easiest? Barbarian.

More complicated: Blade Pact, Infernal Patron Warlock using Armor of Agathys and Mirror Image (bonus: take medium armor Feat or be a Dwarf).

Won't kick in for a few levels: Eldritch Knight Fighter casting Blade Ward every round.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
A human variant fighter (or paladin if you can come up with a good defensive replacement for Battle Master) starting with the Heavy Armor Master feat. If a fighter, take Battle Master with maneuvers like Parry. On top of this, take a 13 (or preferably a 14) Dex, you can take the Defensive Duelist feat (or whatever it is called). You need to be using a rapier, but with heavy armor and shield, that's ok.

I seriously doubt that there are many PCs that can outtank this guy (although someone who can give disadvantage to his foes would do well). His main weakness will be saving throws (hence, the reason to take Paladin instead of Fighter, but then, he loses the Parry capability and would have to find some defensive Paladin spells to take care of that which I have not looked into).

He has one of the highest ACs (get him in plate asap). He stops 3 points of damage per melee hit. He can stop more points of damage with Parry. And, he can boost his AC by 2 to 6 starting at level 4. The 14 Dex also results in a modest Dex save for area effects.

faria

First Post
A 6 Lore Bard/1 Barbarian tank gets:

-Rage (for half damage from most weapon attacks, 2 Rages/day)
-Unarmored Defense (boosts AC with DEX and CON mods, can still use a shield)
-Shield (spell, Additional Magical Secrets, for fights when you're not raging)
-Mirror Image (spell, Additional Magical Secrets, for fights when you're not raging)
-Cutting Words (d8s, Font of Inspiration replenishes all uses at Short rests)
-Defensive Duelist (best feat option, add proficiency bonus [+3 at this level] to AC when using Rapier+shield)
-Lucky (feat, only Variant human can get a 2nd feat by this level, increased chance for enemy to miss)
-Martial Adept (feat, another option for Variant humans, gain defensive maneuvers like Parry and Evasive Footwork)

Yeah...prioritize DEX and CON before CHR and nobody can touch you. I recommend against taking Valor Bard with this build because you lose Cutting Words (Valor bards get Combat Inspiration instead which makes others tanky, not you) and you also lose your defensive spells like Shield and Mirror Image (though you can choose Magic Initiate feat to gain the Shield spell back, but not worth the feat when there are better options).

If you really want, you can drop Barbarian altogether, but you won't be tanky as a straight Lore Bard until Additional Magical Secrets kicks in at level 6 (don't bother with DEX and CON if you're straight bard, just go all CHR for more Cutting Words). 1 level of Barbarian lets you tank pre-6 though (let's face it, most campaigns are lower level) and Rage+Unarmored Defense are still useful all the way until level 20.

Font of Inspiration is so :):):):)ing overpowered. Need Cutting Words every round of every fight? No problem.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads