Define some genres

Chaldfont

First Post
THE GOTHFATHER

I was thinking of running an adventure pitting wiseguys versus vampires. Wouldn't it be fun to play Anthony Soprano beating the heck out of pretentious angsty Anne Rice/WoD blood suckers? Or maybe the gangsters just mistook Vampire LARPers for real vampires. Ooops...

Gadodel

First Post
I really can't seem to classify my campaign. The setting is Earth. There is a fair amount of Time Travel involved. Every session is written to be one shot or self contained, as we visit a different era/year each time. The characters are created with the plan to be able to cope with all sorts of missions/quests.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
barsoomcore said:
This is my new favourite thread!

TEEN MONSTER

I think that's pretty clear. Teens as monsters. I mean, more than usual. Teen Wolf, you know.

I once played in a game where the PCs worked for a detective angency and where all dead (2 ghosts, a vampire and an earth elemental. I also had an transparent ooze familiar which could attach itself to objects and became our 'bugging/tracking device).

I also remember a comic series (can't remember the name) which featured Medusa, Frankenstein and a Werewolf as 'good guys'-um...

exile

First Post
Magical School/University Adventures- well represented by Harry Potter and Redhurst: Academy of Magic. I also like the idea of a more mundane (or at least less magical) D20 modern game based around a University, sort of like a CoC campaign based around Miskatonic University, but not by necessity so "cosmic horror". PCs could start the game as members of the same campus culture class. Adventures could be found in class activities, work-study, road trips, Spring Break, study abroad. I am particularly fond of the idea of using old 1E AD&D modules (anything involving a hidden cavern or a lost temple) as trouble the PCs might get into on an "archaeology/anthropology class trip". Steve Jackson's GURPS IOU does this genre very well with a hefty dose of comedy.

Kaleon Moonshae

When TrueNight falls
doom patrol

Tonguez said:
I once played in a game where the PCs worked for a detective angency and where all dead (2 ghosts, a vampire and an earth elemental. I also had an transparent ooze familiar which could attach itself to objects and became our 'bugging/tracking device).

I also remember a comic series (can't remember the name) which featured Medusa, Frankenstein and a Werewolf as 'good guys'-um...

Pretty sure that was the dc series Doom Patrol, dracula was in it too, and some army officer of something was given the job of keeping them in line, ala dirty dozen

Samothdm

First Post
Kaleon Moonshae said:
Pretty sure that was the dc series Doom Patrol, dracula was in it too, and some army officer of something was given the job of keeping them in line, ala dirty dozen

[THREAD HIJACK]Doom Patrol back in the '60s was Robotman, Negative Man, Elasti-Girl, and the Chief. I don't remember a team with werevolves and such.[/THREAD HIJACK]

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread. Good topic!

Last edited:

bodhi

First Post
JPL said:
I'm arbitrarily limiting eighties neopulp to stuff that actually takes place in the eighties.

Ah, okay. So set in the 80s, not produced in the 80s.

JPL said:
Rock n' Wrestling is certainly a fine example of teampunk, and demonstrates the trickiest part of a teampunk plot:

A. Hulk Hogan and friends are wrestlers, and they don't like the evil wrestlers. And the space station is in danger.
B. ?
C. Hulk Hogan and friends save the space station, despite the bumbling/scheming of the evil wrestlers.

You just gotta get past B, man. That's the tough part.

Well, the great thing about that era in pro wrestling is that you had heels from every possible background. Nikolai Volkoff, and the Iron Sheik, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Bobby "the Weasel" Heenan. And you could always introduce US-bashing heels from any other nation. France, Canada, Britain, Germany, they've all been done. You could even do pseudo-alien wrestlers. Or Nazis. Nazis always make for good villains (see previous Indiana Jones comment).

That's one of my favorite things about HIGH WEIRDNESS. You can pull from any source. Novels, movies, video games, the guy who hangs out at the bus stop and always wants to tell you about the power of lithium, whatever. HW does tend to lean towards the absurd, but I kinda like that.

bodhi

First Post
barsoomcore said:
This is my new favourite thread!

TEEN MONSTER

I think that's pretty clear. Teens as monsters. I mean, more than usual. Teen Wolf, you know.

IMHO, Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a good, fairly current example of this.

In a similar (but slightly different) vein, how about HERO CITY 90210 (or maybe ALTER-EGOS & ANGST), superhero soap operas. Lois & Clark and Smallville are the two examples that leap to mind.

What about...

Punkpunk?

Gritty urban (or rural) setting where punks battle Nazis, corrupt police, Commies, Leftists, Rightists, Middle-of-the-Roadists, other punks, other urban "tribes," bystanders innocent and not-so-innocent, posers, artists, rich people, poor people, saints, angels, demons, devils, and monsters, er, anything that walks...basically, all to the sounds of Punk Rock(TM).

Punk: The Curbstomping.

Remove ads