• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deft Opportunist, Double Hit and AoO

Kae'Yoss

First Post
aurance said:
What if they both have this feat...

IMPROVED COMBAT REFLEXES [EPIC]
Prerequisites: Dex 21, Combat Reflexes.
Benefit: There is no limit to the number of attacks of opportunity the character can make in one round. (the character still can’t make more than one attack of opportunity for a given opportunity.)

:)
That's the same problem as that "riddle": You have a box with 1 pellet in it. 1 hour before midnight, you put another pellet into the box. half an hour before midnight, another. A quarter hour before midnight, another.... essentially another pellet whenever the remaining time is half over. How many pellets are in the box at midnight?

I say that this outrage against the laws of reality will either result in the complete obliteration of everything, or in the Creator appearing and taking away your toys ;)

Liquidsabre

Explorer
KaeYoss said:
I say that this outrage against the laws of reality will either result in the complete obliteration of everything, or in the Creator appearing and taking away your toys ;)

Or the DM's head explodes :p

sledged

First Post
Alpha Polaris said:
Now I wonder what exactly is "a succesful melee attack". Is that one that hits ? One that deals damage ? If we suppose the AoO the latter, does the one with karmic strike take actual damage if she drops, stuns or otherwise incapacitates her opponent ?
I'd say it's one that hits, regardless of how much damage (if any) is done or the type of damage.

didwlgh

First Post
mm, Darklone,

I've seen this thread several times, but I don't remember seeing your answer... would you be so kind to answer it again? Thank you.

Also, does anyone think that the extra hit from Double Hit feat should be an AoO, thus taking up a use of another AoO?

Darklone

I was essentially disagreeing with Sledged.

I would say:
- Double Strike costs one AoO attempt for two strikes (one with each weapon)
- Both enjoy the +4 to hit.

Both because Double Strike (or Double Hit, don't remember the name right now) allows to attack with both weapons during an AoO... for me that means both attacks belong to the AoO.

And I posted that I dislike Karmic Strike :D

sledged

First Post
didwlgh said:
uh...I would think that both characters would keep on making AoOs, striking at the same time, until they run out of AoOs..
Hypersmurf said:
So with two opponents having Double Hit, Karmic Strike, and Improved Combat Reflexes, each AoO that actually hits will provoke two simultaneous AoOs from the opponent. Continue until either a/ someone misses with all their 'outstanding' AoOs, breaking the chain or Karmic Strikes, or b/ someone falls unconscious or dies.
Neither of those answers my question. Let's look at it from a different angle.

A)My character has all the previously mentioned feats, as does the opponent.
B)The opponent takes some action that provokes an AoO from my character.
C)My character hits with the opponent with his AoO.

What gets resolved next: My character's off hand attack (because Double Hit says that it occurs at the same time), or the opponent's AoO (because PHB says AoO's are resolved immediately)?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
didwlgh said:
wouldn't both of them be resolved at the same time?

Right. Double Hit says both hits occur simultaneously (apparently - I don't have MiniHB). Karmic Strike says the attack and the Karmic Strike AoO happen at the same instant.

So everything occurs simultaneously.

-Hyp.

Remove ads