• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deities and Demigods ~ Alter Reality Salient Divine Ability

Information

First Post
Why would any deity with the Alter Reality salient divine ability need any additional spell-like abilities, or class levels as an arcane or divine spellcaster?! Alter Reality allows a deity to cast any spell of 9th level or lower...and with no XP or gp cost!

The DC (if I recall) for Alter Reality-derived spells is 20 + DR (+ ability modifier?).

In some cases, this would surpass the DC of class-derived spells or spell-like abilities. And why would a deity even need either of these if it has Alter Reality?!

Last edited:

Sodalis

First Post
because deities have the abilities to cast spells higher than lvl 9. and at that power lvl, lvl 9 spells are pidly....

edit: and plus, alter reality is just good when dealing with PCs. What happens when he has to go against another deity?

I dont think the book was meant for challenging PCs- but to have deities fight each other- and to see who would win....

Last edited:

Information

First Post
Sodalis said:
edit: and plus, alter reality is just good when dealing with PCs. What happens when he has to go against another deity?

I haven't read Divine Spellcasting yet...I've been too enamored with the treatement of each deity :) Please explain how a deity casting 1st-9th level spells against another deity would be a problem? I would suppose overcoming SR is what is at issue?

Sodalis

First Post
jollyninja:
boccob as i recall has 21st level spells flexor.what could a wish do if it was heightened and empowered?

not only can they empower a lvl 9 spell, but they have abilities (and spells) that are far beyond anything that we can imagine....

imagine being able to turn the tide of battle as a lvl 9 miracle. well, lvl 9 spells are mostly asking a divine being for assistance. These are the guys you pray to for help, and they answer. Imagine how powerful they are to be able to grant those things-

you wish... ok- he is the one that grants the wishes.

what i am saying is that a lvl 9 spell, it doenst matter if he can cast it innate, quickened, still and silent with heightened maximized... and any other metamagic feat you can think of, a deity can always have a better spell, or ability that cannot be dealt with by mortals...

and if you look at the spell power jump from lvl 1 to lvl 9, the effects are exponential- not scalar. at lvl 1, you get magic missile and shield... big whoop. At lvl 3, you get fireball- KABOOM, at lvl 9 you get wish and time stop- endgame.

Now think if that keeps scaling at that rate- at lvl 15, you get Global anhialation, at lvl 20, you get planar dominance, by lvl 25, you get insta wish- mega torturous death with a vanish from existence and wiped out from everyones memory and every one you know dies- including the peope that owes you money.....

you get the picture...

Hand of Vecna

First Post
... and let's not forget the 23rd-level spell "Power Word, Fnord" :p

anyway, I think this is already being disuccsed in the D&D Rules Forum...
right over here!

Last edited:

Sodalis

First Post
Hand of Vecna:
... and let's not forget the 23rd-level spell "Power Word, Fnord"

lets not forget the infamous
power word: Gnopf, point, egad, zoid

all of which emfeebles the mid to pinky status... but who ever said that that was a bad thing- a curse to one is a blessing to others... just ask brain:D :D :D :D :D :D

Last edited:

Remove ads