• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deity of Trickery for a cool puzzle I'm going to use

koesherbacon

First Post
Of the good/neutral standard PoL DND deities, which would be most suitable to have the trickery domain? I'm thinking Avandra, especially since Garl Glittergold isn't standard any more. Should I give trickery to Avandra or instead make Garl Glittergold into a PoL deity?

Basically, I'm going to have a priest of the deity who hold playful trickery in high regard play a trick on the party. He's going to require the PCs to beat him in a game of guessing what numbers (from 0-9) certain arrangements of sticks mean. The sticks themselvse mean nothing, but his body language will tell the whole story. (Anyone remember this game? Where you arrange the sticks arbetrarily and then sit with your fingers indicating the number is?)

I'm going to act out the part of the priest, and the players will act as their PCs. If they guess incorrectly a certain number of times, something bad will happen. If the guess the password, a 4-digit number, they'll be allowed access past the area he's protecting for using their sharp wits.

What do you think about the skill challenge and which deity should be worshiped by this priest?

(also posted on WOTC forums, in case this looked familiar to you)

Quickleaf

Legend
[MENTION=78297]koesherbacon[/MENTION] Avandra would work if you're going for a scoundrel/gambling feel, though Sehanine would be a better choice for trickster guardian of mysteries. Personally I say bring back Garl Glittergold - viva la gnomes! :)

About your setup, what do you do if I'm playing the dumb fighter of the group and decide "To hell with it, let's just start chopping off fingers until he tells us how to get in" ?

Or what I I'm the rogue and say, "I want to try to break in to the vault, forget this guy"?

Or what if I'm the half-cracked gnomish illusionist who just has to cast sticks to snakes?

Ok that last one was silly, but you get the idea?

Shadus

First Post
Lolth and Sehanie are the Tricky Gods according to Divine Power. Are you wanting to change it to another?

While I have no problem with puzzles, it'd be best to have a clue check. Like Insight Vs Bluff: DC X, You notice that the number has nothing to do with the sticks. Otherwise, your PCs may rage quit.

koesherbacon

First Post
[MENTION=78297]koesherbacon[/MENTION] Avandra would work if you're going for a scoundrel/gambling feel, though Sehanine would be a better choice for trickster guardian of mysteries. Personally I say bring back Garl Glittergold - viva la gnomes! :)

About your setup, what do you do if I'm playing the dumb fighter of the group and decide "To hell with it, let's just start chopping off fingers until he tells us how to get in" ?

Or what I I'm the rogue and say, "I want to try to break in to the vault, forget this guy"?

Or what if I'm the half-cracked gnomish illusionist who just has to cast sticks to snakes?

Ok that last one was silly, but you get the idea?

Those are good points, but my group really likes puzzle solving. Even the tough as nails fighter and the sly rogue would rather solve the puzzle than just start smashing things. Guess I got lucky in the PC department!

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Of the good/neutral standard PoL DND deities, which would be most suitable to have the trickery domain? I'm thinking Avandra, especially since Garl Glittergold isn't standard any more. Should I give trickery to Avandra or instead make Garl Glittergold into a PoL deity?
< snip >

Of the good/neutral standard PoL D&D deities, Sehanine is the deity of Trickery. FYI, here's the first sentence of her listing in the original 4E PHB: "God of the moon and autumn, Sehanine is the patron of trickery and illusions." (You can't get much more official than the PHB. . . .)

Aside from that . . . you can use any deity you want, or invent your own.

Third edition listed Boccob, Erythnul, Garl Glittergold, Olidammara, and Nerull as offering the clerical Domain of Trickery (according to my admittedly very dated notes).

Among the Seldarine deities in the Forgotten Realms, Erevan Ilesere offered the Trickery domain. Erevan still exists in 4E Realms, but merely as an exarch of Corellon.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads