Deity Ranks Revised

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Just a little lore type up to clarify divine ranks in my world. Paraphrased and modified from WotC 5e Deity Rank sidebar from the DMG.

Alfaysian Campaign said:
COSMIC RANK (relative)

The godlike beings of the multiverse are often categorized according to their cosmic power. Some gods are worshiped on multiple worlds and have a different rank on each world, depending on their influence there.

Cosmic deities are beyond mortal understanding. They can’t be summoned, and they are almost always removed from direct involvement in mortal affairs. On very rare occasions they manifest avatars similar to other deities, but slaying a cosmic entity’s avatar has no effect on the entity itself.

Primordials are formed from the building blocks of the cosmos, and have nothing to do with the power of divinity. They don’t hear or answer prayers, grant spells to clerics, or control aspects of mortal life. They can grant their power in the form of boons, and have been known to form deals with warlocks, or sponsor champions.

Deities are embodied somewhere in the planes. They range from lesser deities that may live in the Material Plane, to major deities that control several planes. Such deities can be encountered by mortals.

Quasi-deities have a divine origin, but they don’t hear or answer prayers, grant spells to clerics, or control aspects of mortal life. They are still immensely powerful beings, and in theory they could ascend to godhood if they amassed enough worshipers. Quasi-deities fall into three subcategories: demigods, empyreans, titans, and vestiges.

Demigods are born from the union of a deity and a mortal being. They have some divine attributes, but their mortal parentage makes them the weakest quasi-deities.

Empyreans were created at the beginning of the cosmos, and embody the various fundamental forces of the cosmos, such as gravity, energy, entropy, etc. Should an empyrean be slain, a lesser empyrean of a similar nature inherits their power.

Titans are the divine creations of deities. They might be birthed from the union of two deities, manufactured on a divine forge, born from the blood spilled by a god, or otherwise brought about through divine will or substance.

Vestiges are deities who have lost nearly all their worshipers and are considered dead, from a mortal perspective. Esoteric rituals can sometimes contact these beings and draw on their latent power.

Feel free to comment as you see fit...

(waves at [MENTION=83242]dave2008[/MENTION] )

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Yeah, empyreans (titans) have always been the assistant builders of the cosmos, working with the original cosmic deity (architect).

dave2008

Legend
Nice work! However, I don't see a specific place for things like demon lords, archdevils, archfey, and non-deity celestials of great power. I think a discussion of cosmic rank should include these types of creatures too.

My suggestion would be to revise quasi-deities to include these creatures. Remove the divine nature from the general description and add it to the specific subclass (empyrean, titan, and demigod). The you can add other categories of cosmic entities to quasi-deity.

It also seems that you have taken the 5e definition of deity and changed it to "cosmic deity," is that correct? So are cosmic deities what 5e calls greater gods, or are greater gods in the "Deities" category and cosmic deities are great beings like overgods in previous editions?

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Nice work! However, I don't see a specific place for things like demon lords, archdevils, archfey, and non-deity celestials of great power. I think a discussion of cosmic rank should include these types of creatures too.

My suggestion would be to revise quasi-deities to include these creatures. Remove the divine nature from the general description and add it to the specific subclass (empyrean, titan, and demigod). The you can add other categories of cosmic entities to quasi-deity.

It also seems that you have taken the 5e definition of deity and changed it to "cosmic deity," is that correct? So are cosmic deities what 5e calls greater gods, or are greater gods in the "Deities" category and cosmic deities are great beings like overgods in previous editions?

I hadn't included demon lords et al, even though they are part of my cosmos, because it was technically "divine ranks". Of course I also included primordials, so I should.

I like your suggestion.

I am using three categories for gods, lesser, god (intermediate), and major (greater). Cosmic deities are essential parts of the cosmos, and not entirely divine*.

*In the beginning....

Cosmic entity forms base cosmos, other cosmic entities arise from the "Pattern"

Primordials and "Obyriths" generate from base stuff.

Law versus Chaos.

Astral realm created....NOW souls occur and gods begin forming.

jgsugden

Legend
My system is pretty simple:

1.) Demi-Gods: These beings were once mortal but through breeding, great deeds or powerful magic they have obtained some level of divinity. Basically, you have an epic divine ability. They can grant power via Pacts to Warlocks.

2.) Lesser Gods: These beings are Demi-Gods with sufficient worshippers to Transcend. They are Immortal in their homes, but vulnerable when outside their homes. The strength of their worship determines the extent of their power. They can grant power to Clerics, Paladins and other Faith based classes in addition to Warlocks via Pact Magic.

3.) Greater Gods: Although they can manifest in a mortal form, they do not truly have one anymore. A Lesser God with sufficient worship can Transcend again into this ultimate form - but only if allowed by the other Greater Gods - permission that can be gained in many ways. Generally speaking, they are truly Immortal and undying. They can grant power to Clerics, Paladins and other Faith based classes in addition to Warlocks via Pact Magic.

Titans, Arch-devils, Demon Lords, Elder Evils, Great Space Hamsters, etc... all fit into this hierarchy. I've had this design for a long time. It is simple and works well.

Just a little lore type up to clarify divine ranks in my world. Paraphrased and modified from WotC 5e Deity Rank sidebar from the DMG.

Feel free to comment as you see fit...
Looks interesting.
In your world, do deities tend to follow a similar model to the FR system of divinity, gods etc?

Coroc

Hero
Well then let me ask you a question: How would you handle Greyhawk's Iuz? Originally he was handled as a Demigod, who originally could only grant spells up to 5th Level, due him being on the same plane of existence (prime oerth) he could grant spells up to sixth. Being a demigod also meant he got no avatars but is he himself when encountered.

Back then classifying deities into different power ranks made total sense and even reflected within game mechanics. 5E does not include power ranks but seem to handle every deity the same. I do not see any advantage in your classification System other than some gods being summonable / encounterable etc. Me thinks if a deity wants to be encountered, it will make this happen, no matter its rank. If it does not want to be encountered it will be close to impossible to encounter it.

Back then ranking also determined which god could cancel out another gods Actions. But you also do not mention this one, so what is your Motivation for your rank System?

Coroc

Hero
P.S. in my greyhawk campaign i handle Iuz like it used to be, being a demigod, no Avatars and his (NPC) priests can get spells up to 6th Level from him.

Remove ads