Deity Ranks Revised

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Looks interesting.
In your world, do deities tend to follow a similar model to the FR system of divinity, gods etc?

Not sure if I follow a "FR" system or not, depends on how you look at it. But probably?

I have about 5 major pantheons (like greek or norse for example) that religions are based on. Demons, fiends, powerful entities in addition.

Those cover geographical and cultural areas. This means that although I may have dozens of gods, as the DM I can work most NPCs as followers of the "Imperial Temple" or one of the others. Clerics tend to chose/identify with a single deity out of the pantheon, but don't have to.

Some of those deities used to be part of a pantheon, and now have their own religion, with them as a singular leader. Others wear different faces and belong to several pantheons at once. Others just seem to have come out of nowhere.

No one religion or deity claims to have created the cosmos or existence, although they may claim creation of a race or a specific world. They mostly acknowledge others exist, with each following their specific goals/mandate.

Gods are also "mostly" basic d&d immortals in stature, entities that followed a path to power and became divine. So "little" gods if you will, but still massively powerful in comparison to characters and the world. Since my homebrew posits the universe is full of worlds, there are a lot of powers/deities, but I usually stick with a usual grouping, denoting the "local" cosmic landscape.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Well then let me ask you a question: How would you handle Greyhawk's Iuz? Originally he was handled as a Demigod, who originally could only grant spells up to 5th Level, due him being on the same plane of existence (prime oerth) he could grant spells up to sixth. Being a demigod also meant he got no avatars but is he himself when encountered.

Back then classifying deities into different power ranks made total sense and even reflected within game mechanics. 5E does not include power ranks but seem to handle every deity the same. I do not see any advantage in your classification System other than some gods being summonable / encounterable etc. Me thinks if a deity wants to be encountered, it will make this happen, no matter its rank. If it does not want to be encountered it will be close to impossible to encounter it.

Back then ranking also determined which god could cancel out another gods Actions. But you also do not mention this one, so what is your Motivation for your rank System?

Good question, and one that I am currently developing an answer to.

I started using Greyhawk and Iuz back in 1986/87?, so I hear yah loud and clear.

I guess my current direction is based on two things. You saw above where I described "deities"

Deities are embodied somewhere in the planes. They range from lesser deities that may live in the Material Plane, to major deities that control several planes. Such deities can be encountered by mortals.

So most godlike figures are currently divided into three groups, lesser, standard, and major god. I currently for my use have them kinda sorted out and ranked by challenge rating (a blunt instrument I know...). But, I also recall and am fond of giving different ranks different abilities. Currently I am theorizing between the abilities [MENTION=83242]dave2008[/MENTION] has broken down for each rank of god, and the godly ranks from the system called THE PRIMAL ORDER. (Its from a little known company called Wizards of the Coast. ;) )

I used to like restricting spell levels granted by deity, but am leaning away from it. My reasoning is a lesser god might have very few followers, but if they focused on one, could they not grant any spells they wished?

In the OP I kinda use they level and type of god to determine whether they have clerics at all, or just grant boons or sponsor warlocks. Which in effect, limits spell levels doesn't it?

*Brainstorming Only* Maybe a demigod could sponsor a ranger or paladin champion.

Not sure if I follow a "FR" system or not, depends on how you look at it. But probably?
Sorry. As in gods are actual beings that have a distinct existence, and will interact with each other and with mortals.
The FR deities are like the Greek pantheon: They interact and squabble with each other, take an active, and sometimes physical hand in the lives of mortals, and a sufficiently capable mortal is quite capable of travelling to their abode and punching them out.

Compared to say, Eberron, where deities are split between gods that have no definite existence, and divine forces such as finding power within oneself or the gestalt spirits of a martyred race for example.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Sorry. As in gods are actual beings that have a distinct existence, and will interact with each other and with mortals.
The FR deities are like the Greek pantheon: They interact and squabble with each other, take an active, and sometimes physical hand in the lives of mortals, and a sufficiently capable mortal is quite capable of travelling to their abode and punching them out.

Compared to say, Eberron, where deities are split between gods that have no definite existence, and divine forces such as finding power within oneself or the gestalt spirits of a martyred race for example.

Yes, exactly like that FR example...with the exception of the cosmic entities from the OP.

Plus worshiping philosophies....cause its interesting...i.e. Are you worshiping the same type of philosophy that Ragnaros god of Fire and Immolation of Pain follows? Perhaps you are poaching some of their territory...will you end up as a god/power/entity?

gyor

Legend

It's more complicated then that in FR, I mean yeah the Gods do in some ways function like Greek gods at times, at others they seem more cosmic, depending on the writer.

FR deities have a strong element of underneath the personalities, being Platonic ideals (this is why Gods in FR never die completely, they themselves are Avatars in a sense for the Platonic Forms they represent IMO, even greater deities. Sune is a Greater Goddess of Beauty and Love, but at a higher level, she is a manifestation of the Platonic Form of love and beauty.

They never straight up put it this way, but it's strongly hinted at in FR.

Plus their ARE none deity focused religions, they just don't get much attention, like FR has a quasi Buddhist and Hindu religions,, among others, the pre Tiamat Cult of the Dragon, and other weird stuff, Beast and Monster cults, and some people consider the Gods to be just Archetypes and ideals (until they find out they are wrong like Drizzt did).

Remove ads