• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deitys and Apologies

Dozen

First Post
They are from the Divine Index of the SRD, under Divine Ranks and Powers. Let me quote:

Rank 21+

These entities are beyond the ken of mortals and care nothing for worshipers. They do not grant spells, do not answer prayers, and do not respond to queries. If they are known at all, it is to a handful of scholars on the Material Plane. They are called overdeities. In some pantheistic systems, the consent of an overdeity is required to become a god.

Dozen

First Post
It's from the System Reference Document, which was patched together from various, but 100% core, rules published by WotC. It's free and includes most of the Player's Handbook. I'm sure you have seen it before.

Last edited:

Omegaxicor

First Post
some of the SRD pages are Hombrew that haven't been labelled properly, but if it is from WotC material it is obviously from a book I have never read...

but it changes very little because Over-deities are the same as Deities in that they are above the affairs of mortals...

Dozen

First Post
some of the SRD pages are Hombrew that haven't been labelled properly, but if it is from WotC material it is obviously from a book I have never read...
Yeah, you've just made this one up. It was published by the Wizards, man. Either the word 'published' or 'Wizards' should tell you it can't be Homebrew.

I happen to possess a PDF copy of the DMG and the Player's Handbook. The phrase 'the Gods don't involve themselves directly in the affairs of mortals' is said in neither. I used the search engine, there is no way I missed it. Hell, if you Google it, the page with your comment on it is at the top of the list.
Besides, that doesn't mean they don't involve themselves at all. And it certainly doesn't mean they are arrogant as a whole or refuse to apologize to lowbies. That means they just send angels and pawns to clean up the dirt for them instead of waltzing down from the heavens every time something needs to be done.

Last edited:

Omegaxicor

First Post
I don't know that that is the exact wording of it so you might have missed it that way.

I will have to look it up and try to locate it but you are right that Gods send angels to do their bidding but they only do that if something threatens their interests directly normally they just steer mortals into the path of an enemy and have them kill it.

Where does it say that Good gods treat their followers as you describe?

Dozen

First Post
They are Good. And since there is only one kind of Good so far, I'd guess they act that way!

Last edited:

Dozen

First Post
Yes, Good, as a level of morality, is relative, but the Alignment definitions are constant. There could be a horrible plane(A layer of the Abyss, for instance) where everyone kills anyone they can for fun, and the best people are the ones who do that to others while inflicting as little pain as possible. They are relatively Good, yes, but under the D&D rules for alignment, they would be Evil or Neutral. Likewise, if the best gods were uncaring, arbitrary and selfish, you could still call them the 'Good' gods if you really wanted to, even though they aren't Good by the defined constant, just compared to other gods.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads