• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dell customer service lies, don't buy a Dell.

yangnome

First Post
THE ROLLING STONES "Lies"

Lies, dripping off your mouth like dirt
Lies, lies in every step you walk
Lies, whispered sweetly in my ear
Lies, how do I get out of here?
Why, why you have to be so cruel?
Lies, lies, lies I ain't such a fool!
Lies, lies in my papa's looks
Lies, lies in my history books
Lies, lies like they teach in class
Lies, lies, lies I catch on way too fast
Fire, fire upon your wicked tongue
Lies, lies, lies you're trying to spoil my fun
Lies, lies you dirty jezebel
Why, why, why, why don't you go to hell?
Why, why you think me such a fool?
Lies, lies, lies honey that's ya rules!
Lies, lies, lies, lies, oh my lies, ...

Rackhir

Explorer
There's a great quote from Napoleon which I've found covers a lot of this sort of situations.

"Never attribute to malice, that which can adiquately be explained by incompetence."

evildmguy

Explorer
Wow.

I have had a different, more positive experience with Dell. Except for waiting up to thirty minutes to speak to someone, I have had nothing but good service with Dells.

In the past seven years, my wife and I have bought five Dell computers, including a laptop. In my case, I have had only two things go wrong and each time, Dell responded by replacing the items at no charge to me. (Hard Drive, graphics card) Further, they responded very quickly, within two business days, through local suppliers with Dell contracts. Three out of the five computers arrived before they estimated and the others arrived within their arrival window.

So, anecdotal, but as someone else said, I don't think it was malicious on Dell's part. They are one of the few companies that has worked hard for me to get me what I want. That's probably why I am a big supporter of them and am posting this.

Have a good one! Take care!

edg

evildmguy

Explorer
Rackhir said:
There's a great quote from Napoleon which I've found covers a lot of this sort of situations.

"Never attribute to malice, that which can adiquately be explained by incompetence."

Quoted for truth and because I like it! Thanks!

Have a good one! Take care!

edg

Vocenoctum

First Post
Trainz said:
I work in a retail store.

Once, a customer ordered a part, and had to wait 2 years because of the the supplier. Not our fault.

2 years man. You waited 1 day.

Did you tell the customer that he'd get it in 1 month and it then took 2 years? If so, should he reasonably be irked at the miscommunication.

the OP didn't say "Dell takes long to ship", he said customer service promised something that they shouldn't have. Sure the customer isn't always right, but that doesn't mean he's somehow wrong in what he said. He was told something, it was not done.

Tone doesn't carry well on the internet, but why come down on the guy for a simple "they lied to me" rant?

Rackhir

Explorer
nerfherder said:
That quote's the main reason I don't believe in most conspiracy theories.

Cheers,
Liam

I am of the same opinion. I find a lot of people take a certain perverse comfort in the idea that there is a conspiracy driving bad events. I guess because it reduces the randomness and impersonality of events. It means that things happened for a reason, instead of because a lone nutcase or 19 as the case may be.

talmar

First Post
Bobitron said:
For every story that is negative, there are probably five times the amount of people who are neutral and another one who had a great experience. I've purchased two computers from Dell, both positive experiences, and dealt with them once on the customer service end and had average results.

The most vocal people regarding any company are those who are disappointed. That's just the way it works.

Exactly,

I've had 3 dell systems, 2 desktops and 1 laptop and I've had nothing but great service and support. It may take longer than I like to get to the support but it's rare that I need to call anyway.

As someone who works in the IT field I can assure you there are much much worse vendors than dell when it comes to support.

werk

First Post
Read this :)

KenM said:
Your right. I'll let this go. Too much other real problems in the world then for really small crap like this.

I used to work at Dell headquarters, and if it helps, the software that manages all of this is old and is not really responsive enough to do what needed to be done. Second to that, the phone reps do not realize this limitation, because they believe what they see.

If the software shows that you changed shipping from ground to overnight, that means it'll ship overnight, right? Wrong! Once the order was released to the warehouse to ship, a rep on the phone cannot change it, nothing done in the software matters, it has already 'printed', only the warehouse can change that info. If the rep knew this (and I promise you, they do not) they could have taken the extra step to follow through, email the warehouse (via the expedite request mailbox), and complete the request. There are a lot of other things that could have happened, but the above scenario is most likely and happens constantly.

It's human error and lack of training. You could call it incompetence, which is accurate, but a little harsh. It is bad, and Dell can do better, easily...but they won't, do to the way that they run their business.

It's also why my group at Dell ruled, and all the other groups drooled.

I could go on for days about why Dell is still better than anyone else, but that should address your specific issue.

Last edited:

Tolen Mar

First Post
Werk is right.

I work at a warehouse myself (though not Dell). We are always getting emails and phone calls about orders being changed, and over half of them arrive as the truck is pulling away from the bay. Nothing we can do about it except to make a note of it, email the boss back, and keep on workin'.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads