• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Delver destroying gear...

Wraithdrit

First Post
From the SRD on Delvers:

"An opponent’s armor and clothing dissolve and become useless immediately unless the wearer succeeds on a DC 22 Reflex save."

What is 'clothing'? Does it include magic boots worn? Bracers? Gloves? Or just torso worn clothes (like shirts and tunics and vests). Magic belts?

Hit my party with a delver, it nailed the monk and we ruled clothing as items worn as clothing, and thus he lost a pair of gloves of dex +2, bracers of armor +4, a cloak of resistance, and a monk's belt. I told him not to roll on the slippers of spiderclimb, since the hit was in his upper area.

The more I am thinking about it, the more I think this was overly punitive. Admitedly, he failed a save, then proceeded to fail four item saves in a row, but still. Seems a bit harsh that one attack could destroy about anything worn.

Thoughts please.

IIRC, (but it probably doesn't apply for the monk), you take the best save bonus (character or item) for magic items.

I'm assuming a 9th level monk (delver is CR 9), with a reflex save of about +9 to +11... So he probably had a little bit more than 50% chance of losing each item. If he lost all four, then he was miserably unlucky, but hey, life isn't fair.

AR

Trellian

Explorer
Wraithdrit said:
But the point is not the save, but what items actually need to take a save.

I'd rule it that one item has to roll a save for each hit. I don't know if it's realistic, but it's fair. If I had robbed one of my characters for 4 magical items at once, he'd definetely made a new one..

Eccles

Ragged idiot in a trilby.
I think you're catching up with my lot, but we just had the exact same encounter.

I took the cleric's fill plate +3 in the first attack, allowing him to add the +3 to his Ref save. But he kept his Gauntlets, cloak, etc.

In hindsight, I should've made him take a second save when he was hit with the next attack, but I felt sorry for the guy...

Remove ads