• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Demiplane and Plane Shift

freeWeemsy

First Post
Technically yes but it would be difficult. From the DMG 68:

Theoretically, a plane shift spell can carry travelers to a demiplane, but the proper frequency required for the tuning fork would be extremely hard to acquire. The gate spell is more reliable, assuming the caster knows of the demiplane.

freeWeemsy

First Post
Yes yes ... but Gate is 9th level vs Plane Shift being 7th level. Lol
Right and I think the reasoning behind restricting plane shift is to make it so you can't use it to access demiplanes Willie nilly. I would argue that if you were able to create the pitch and harmonics needed in the verbal components of the demiplane spell you should be able to find that pitch using the plane shift spell.

Sent from my SM-G935V using EN World mobile app

Dausuul

Legend
I think it would be reasonable to rule that the creator of a demiplane knows the right pitch and harmonics to access the demiplane via plane shift. But it would also be reasonable to rule the opposite. This is a question that could go either way.

Last edited:

jaelis

Oh this is where the title goes?
I think it would be reasonable to rule that the creator of a demiplane knows the right pitch and harmonics to access the demiplane via plane shift.
This makes sense to me. But would it be too powerful to let you use plane shift offensively to imprison a creature in your own demiplane with no means of escape? Probably no worse than sending a creature to Tarterus or something.

Dausuul

Legend
This makes sense to me. But would it be too powerful to let you use plane shift offensively to imprison a creature in your own demiplane with no means of escape? Probably no worse than sending a creature to Tarterus or something.
Pretty much. If a creature has no means of planar travel, plane shift is effectively save-or-die; a demiplane just makes it convenient to loot the corpse.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads