Demise of a FLGS, sale this weekend

Glyfair

Explorer
bento said:
Whereas traditional retailers will have sales to blow out old inventory, most specialty shop owners tend to have a packrat mentality. "Surely someone out there is willing to pay full price, he-he-he."

I think that's part of it. However, I think it's more common that they are thinking "We can't afford not to sell them at full price." Given the low profitability of these types of stores, it's easy to fall into that trap.

replicant2

First Post
That is very sad. When I got back into D&D in 2001 after roughly 13 years out of the hobby, I needed a new set of 3.0 core books and bought them at The Wizard's Tower. When I went in there was a cool game going on, and I remembered thinking to myself, if I hadn't just found a great group via ENWorld this would be a really cool place to play.

Another blow to the LGS community, which appears to be happening everywhere.

dougmander

Explorer
:( This is sad news, as my wife and I have been taking road trips up there for years -- such a friendly place, with a great selection, helpful staff, and always something happening -- a real clubhouse atmosphere. I'm surprised they're going under, because it always seemed so lively. I guess people were playing games, but not buying.

FLGS are an endangered species.

DonTadow

First Post
I"d like to see some of the bigger city hobby stores get with some smaller city ones and form a chain, else I see this happening a lot more and eventually it will hit hte big city stores. Its hard to compete with a amazon.

Tetsubo

First Post
The Comic Store, also in Nashua NH also sells RPG's. They have quite a nice selection.

The Wizard's Tower has always been an embarrassment to my hobby in my opinion. I went there a few times with my wife and the completely unprofessional atmosphere just amazed me. I can remembering as I left apologizing to my wife for having taken her into the place. I will not miss this store...

I will miss the Paperback Bazzar in Somersworth NH. It was one of the two best gaming stoes that I've ever visited. The best is in Groton CT and just a tad far for frequent visits. Though I did drop $200 there on my honeymoon...

Numion

First Post
Tetsubo said:
I went there a few times with my wife and the completely unprofessional atmosphere just amazed me.

GS's are killing GS's. Amazon might be handing out free ammo like it was candy, but someone else is pulling the trigger.

Remove ads