• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Demonweb maps - now featuring Scott Rouse question

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Scott_Rouse said:
We did maps in Red Hand of Doom and Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde. Maps are relatively expensive on their own but we have made it work to include them with adventures in the past.

It would be cool to be able to sell a "play out of the box" modules that had the adventure, maps/tiles and minis.
I was waffling on SGoS! I should pick that up now.

Play out of the box modules (Pootb? Nah) sound great.
Scott_Rouse said:
How many of you have:

1) Bought or used a Fantastic Locations product?

2) If you did how did you use it? A) Roleplaying B) Skirmish c) Both

3) If you used it for RPG play did you use it beyond the encounters it came with?

4) if you exclusively RP with it would it bother you to havethe skirmish symbols on it?
I plan to buy a FL product in the near future, for use exclusively in roleplaying. Skirmish symbols more than likely would not bother me.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I would *really* appreciate maps that could be built using the Dungeon Tiles out there.

One of the biggest problems with recent maps are their "wacky" sizes and features, which make them pretty much impossible to build with dungeon tiles. You don't make 3 square wide passages in the dungeon tiles - don't put them in the adventures!

Cheers!

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
"Out of the box" adventures that included minis, tiles, and the adventure itself would be well worth a $30 or so price tag and certainly something I'd pick up. It seems as though this product would be similiar to the Basic Set but using the "regular" rules. From a marketing standpoint, you could also include a small advertisement in future printings of the Basic Set, calling out this new product as "taking your game to the next level" or some other nifty marketing cliche.

I would include all the tiles needed in the adventure in the box, as calling for use of other Dungeon Tiles sets diminishes the "play-out-of-the-box" aspect of this hypothetical product.

Agamon

Adventurer
I was disappointed in the online maps for Cormyr. I was going to run the the new FR AP in my online game, but the maps were too small to be of any use. A PDF style download with maps and artwork, ala Dungeon, would be great (though I expect I'd need to subscribe to the DI before seeing anything like that...)

PatEllis15

First Post
Scott_Rouse said:
We did maps in Red Hand of Doom and Shattered Gates of Slaughtergarde. Maps are relatively expensive on their own but we have made it work to include them with adventures in the past.

It would be cool to be able to sell a "play out of the box" modules that had the adventure, maps/tiles and minis.

Woot!

I've been advocating this since Harbinger!

It's a great way to tie your product lines together... Use the starter box format you already have, include one rare, 4 uncommons 8 commons (or what have you...) for key encounters, and then tie the other encounters to currently available mini's.

It's a great way for WotC to take advantage of the secondary market value of figures (though in this case you should only use OOP figures for that rare slot so your not competing with yourself), and everyone can be happy.

Will it work for "Expedition" style adventures? Probably to big a box! But to compete with the "classic" 32 page dungeon crawl it would be a killer product.

Pat E

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
MerricB said:
I would *really* appreciate maps that could be built using the Dungeon Tiles out there.

One of the biggest problems with recent maps are their "wacky" sizes and features, which make them pretty much impossible to build with dungeon tiles. You don't make 3 square wide passages in the dungeon tiles - don't put them in the adventures!

Cheers!

So you are saying design our tactical maps to work with Dungeon Tiles? Don't you think that will limit the variablity of maps in adventures. We only do 3-4 sets of tiles a year and are only have 4 sets out now so it seems like that would really limit the maps.

Or just make 3 sq wide passages (and other varieties) in DT sets?

Scott_Rouse said:
How many of you have:

3) If you used it for RPG play did you use it beyond the encounters it came with?

4) if you exclusively RP with it would it bother you to havethe skirmish symbols on it?

1. Bought, yes. Used, no.

2. If I had used it, it would be for RP.

3. Not likely. My problem with the products as is is they don't fit a coherent pattern. I'd prefer the maps to be provided with a more in-depth adventure. Map-only products should be different (like the map folios, or dungeon tiles).

4. Yes -- I find them distracting.

Personally, I think the "all in one box" product (adventure, map/tiles, & minis) is a great idea for RP -- if it can be made affordable. With the random mini distribution, it's hard to get a good set to match an adventure, unless you spend a lot of time in the aftermarket (which I'm too lazy to do) or buy a ton of boxes (which I'm not willing to do). That's why I've essentially stopped purchasing WOTC minis ... I got tired of 75% of the minis being something I wasn't using for adventures.

PatEllis15

First Post
Scott_Rouse said:
How many of you have:

1) I've bought all of the Fantastic Locations

2) I've used it both (but 90% for Skirmish)

3) I've not used the encounters at all, rather used the maps when they fit with my campaign

4) It wouldn't bother me ...

Pat E

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Scott_Rouse said:
So you are saying design our tactical maps to work with Dungeon Tiles? Don't you think that will limit the variablity of maps in adventures. We only do 3-4 sets of tiles a year and are only have 4 sets out now so it seems like that would really limit the maps.

More the latter. I don't mind variant map stuff in adventures, but when it all starts to be variant map stuff that can't be done (easily) with dungeon tiles, it gets problematic.

I'll have to get out the recent adventures you've done and do a proper comparison. Hmm.

Scott - just a big thanks for participating on the boards. It really makes a difference to me when I can see the folk at Wizards are listening.

Cheers,
Merric

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Scott_Rouse said:

I'm fine with just figuring out the layout of dungeons using DT's. My players have good imagination--we can imagine all the benches and altars we like. But 3-square hallways aren't helping anyone.

At the very least, that's a start. Maybe in the future, DT's could have a number of commonly used features of adventures.

Learn from the system! Synergize! ;)

Remove ads