• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Demonweb maps - now featuring Scott Rouse question

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Scott_Rouse said:
How many of you have:

1) Bought or used a Fantastic Locations product?
I did.

Scott_Rouse said:
2) If you did how did you use it? A) Roleplaying B) Skirmish c) Both
Only roleplaying.

Scott_Rouse said:
3) If you used it for RPG play did you use it beyond the encounters it came with?
Yes.

Scott_Rouse said:
4) if you exclusively RP with it would it bother you to havethe skirmish symbols on it?
I'd rather not have them, but they are not a big deal.

Riley

Legend
Supporter
Scott_Rouse said:
So you are saying design our tactical maps to work with Dungeon Tiles? Don't you think that will limit the variablity of maps in adventures.

I would hate this. Make the maps pretty and varied.

What would be helpful would be high-resolution versions of the maps/encounter maps available for download - without the miniatures' locations and such on them - that we can print out at whatever scale we choose. Just like Paizo does with their excellent Dungeon Magazine pdf supplements.

DM_Jeff

Explorer
Scott_Rouse said:
How many of you have:

I own all of them. :D

Scott_Rouse said:

Roleplaying only.

Scott_Rouse said:
3) If you used it for RPG play did you use it beyond the encounters it came with?

Yes, I both made use of the encounters & stats therein and used them for my own locations as well.

Scott_Rouse said:
4) if you exclusively RP with it would it bother you to havethe skirmish symbols on it?

I don't really mind them, they are mostly out of the way. Showing start areas and difficult terrain is fine, anything else and yeah, I 'd no doubt be annoyed. :)

-DM Jeff

Shemeska

Adventurer

Neither.

I don't have any interest in DDM skirmish, or incorporating elements of it into my campaigns. Just not my style of play. Don't use minis at all, only do maps at player request.

Imruphel

First Post

Bought them all.

A. Roleplaying only.

No.

The symbols don't bother me but I do wish there were fewer exits from the maps/more logical map exits.

Overall I am very happy with the FL line and would like to see more.

Pbartender

First Post
heirodule said:
No, the maps that go with WOTC published scenarios.

Ah... Gotcha... I misunderstood the context.

Nevertheless, what you're saying is:

If WotC did something with its published adventure maps what these third party PDF-publisher guys are doing, it'd be almost a sure bet that people would by them.

Also, the maps available there are great examples for Mr. Rouse and his cohorts... Especially look to 0one's "Blueprint" and "Colorprint" series. Those maps are layered pdfs, so that you can turn features of the map on or off -- room numbers, furniture, grids, scale markers, compass rose, map key can all be turned off.

That would be a BIG feature. You could, for example, include three different sets of skirmish symbols for the map. DDM players could pick from any of the three scenarios, and RPGers could just turn them off completely.

JustKim

First Post
A poll! Yeah!

I first bought a couple of the more unique ones, Hellspike Prison and Frostfell Rift, because I didn't have any lava or ice maps. I liked them well enough, so I bought the rest.

A) Roleplaying.
I've only played the skirmish game a couple of times. All of my props are for playing D&D, the skirmish game doesn't really interest me. When we have played, we used plain graph paper so it was not tournament legal. Please don't tell WotC.

I wasn't very impressed with the encounters that come with Fantastic Locations. The ones that I have read weren't intersting enough to run, and after a few I just stopped reading them.

I didn't like the skirmish symbols at first, but now I don't really mind them. As long as everybody knows to ignore the areas, it's not a problem. Between a minor annoyance for me and the skirmish players not being able to use the maps at all, I don't mind keeping the symbols.

Also how much would you be willing to pay for a pack of 6 double sided 27" X 36" poster maps (like in Fantastic Locations)?
As it is I pay $7.50 for each of them, but $45 for a pack of maps is too much all at once. I would probably be willing to pay $25. Maybe a little bit more if it came with something extra.

Thank you for soliciting my opinion!

Thomas Percy

First Post
It's a question of time when some 3rd party will release grids for every new WotC adventure (similiar, not the same, because of copyright reasons). Sad it will not be The Forge Studios :( .

Remove ads