• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Describing movement through cities

tanis

First Post
Funeris said:
I tend to throw a mix up at my players. I give a basic general description of the architecture or layout, poverty levels, a general feeling of how many stragglers are about...whether or not its a safe area and then I will also elaborate on any truly unique buildings or architecture. Some of these unique buildings are "keyed" but some may have been built for specific reasons (i.e. for a local hero).

Of course, I work in the civil engineering field and am forced day-in and day-out to deal with differing styles of architecture and engineering etc. So, I merely pass my overdosed feelings onto my players...not that they seem to mind ;)

Architecture isn't the only thing that gives cities a feel. A large amount of people can lend a claustrophobic feel to the city. If everyone is dirty and unkempt, it could impose a feeling of hopelessness upon the characters. The first "city" my players arrived in had been assaulted by some bandits...houses had been burned down and townsfolk slain. I constantly made sure they felt the overwhelming odor of charred flesh and singed hair. I made a large effort to make them feel this "shade" of the city because it contrasted with what the city usually is: a peaceful, mainly thatched building city with a freshly built and studiously cleaned keep. Yet the people were being herded about, because they were all distraught over the attacks. They hadn't expected it, they hadn't experienced anything of that magnitude in such a time, that the overwhelming feeling of chaos and loss was the city at that time. The city wasn't an assemblage of buildings with this type of architecture or that, it was the description of its townsfolk and their emotions.

Anyway...I'm not sure I made much sense...but I hope you can gather any wisdom from my lengthy and seemingly pointless words. :D

~Fune
the vegatarian dragon thing on the hillaraus description thread!

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Cities have districts/wards, each one has a different air/appearance, description, and type of people, the rich areas look different and the people dress different, the have different businesses that service the area, same for merchent areas, and college areas, each have people that are belong to the area, you describle those.

Landmarks, have a few for your city and use them in your descriptions. Places become two streets on the south side of the clock tower or next to West Gate, or in the shadow of the prison.

SidusLupus

First Post
I'll throw my hat in on describing the feel of the city. Cities throb with life. Some are strong and vivid, others are pitiful and weak. Describe the colors and the smells, the things that could place you in the city. I wouldn't describe the individual people, but the people in general. Are they merchants, laborers, servants, poor, rich ect. Go for what will leave the impression on your players but lets them make their own conclusions on the exact details.

The parts I would tend to describe in detail are the important buildings and places.

DMH

First Post
Crothian said:
Perhaps this PDF I reviewd here could be of help. Its called Bits of the Boulevard and is a nice book of descriptions that fit what you seem to be looking for.

I second that and also suggest Mad Kaiser's Kaisar's Bazaar (A, B and C). All 4 are very helpful for fleshing out cities and other communities.

Tinner

First Post
I've always handled city travel very briskly. "You walk for 15 minutes across town cutting through the slum and the warehouse district to reach your destination."
That's usually enough for my group.
When they are really involved with the city (ie. Cauldron) and they want more info, then I try to have each trip across town inclde some sort of encounter.
If they go into a bad part of town, maybe the'll get mugged.
If they pass the temple quarter, they are going to be solicited for donations.

I find the best way to add flavor to the trip is to pick one NPC and have a meaningful encounter with him.
If you kep track f these NPC's and where they live.work, after just a few trips through town, you've added a LOT of color and personality to your city.

Voadam

Legend
From the e-mail game I DM:

Following the bureaucrat's directions for a place some humans have
stayed in the past you head into the city wearing your iron plaques.

Ashen gray grim looking dwarves seem to be the main populace in this
section, although silver skinned humanoids and fiery dwarf like
creatures are also seen commonly as you make your way past many
smithies, troop barracks, grim looking taverns, and the occasional
dwarvish brothel. Many armed and armored dwarves walk around giving
you malevolent appraisals, more than a few sporting crystalline
accoutrements.

You are occasionally stopped but since each of you is wearing a badge
you quickly pass on.

Soon you pass on into a more boisterous hobgoblin area where the off-
duty inhabitants are more rowdy, although patrols of pole arm
wielding figures in military apparel are not uncommon.

Your directions lead you into a third district where the people look
more human, though with lots of variations. Some are gray skinned and
others have small horns, a few even have thin whip like tails with
spade ends. Many merely look like sleek humans though of questionable
character. While many are armed the numbers in heavy armor are much
less here than elsewhere.

Travesura notes a number with spell component pouches and what are
probably magical jewelry as you pass among them.

The directions take you deep into this area. As you pass a large
cabaret and performance hall with sleek and tempting dancing girls
you come to a large more expensive looking establishment with a big
sign bearing unknown sigils and a picture of a finely rendered
sitting room done in dark shades of purple.

Remove ads