• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

design a would-be god! (my players stay out)

rkanodia

First Post
In my (Spelljammer) campaign, the PCs are probably going to find themselves accidentally awakening a group of beings who were demigods until they tried to overthrow the existing pantheon. They've spent the last few thousand years lying in a vault, stripped of nearly all their power, and completely forgotten. In the mean time, all the gods have died, except for the Void God (the Unspeaking One, god of space and death). For Various Reasons(tm), it's probably better for just about everyone if they return to sleep. However, their goals will be to escape the dungeon in which they are imprisoned and flee to distant corners of the multiverse while they regain their strength. The PCs will thus have to negotiate or fight with as many of these entities as they can; any that get away will basically become recurring villains, but also ticking time-bombs that must be stopped (by someone, not necessarily the PCs) before they ascend to true godhood.

I'm hoping for somewhere between four and eight of these guys. None of them were 'good' in the Book of Exalted Deeds sense of the word at the time of their imprisonment, although some of them could have changed to the point where they could be persuaded to assist in the capture of the other demigods and/or voluntarily return to sleep, and some could have personal vendettas against each other. If you want to post a statblock, go ahead; I'm wanting these guys to each be between CR 3 and CR 7. The PCs are fourth and fifth level, and the strongest of the godlings should probably kick their butts if they choose to fight and can't get allies, while the weakest of them should be a great one-on-one fight as the PCs scatter to take as many of them down as possible. If you'd rather just post a concept, that's fine too; I can probably stat them out myself. My initial concepts are:

Halcyon, of extreme (yet self-indulgent) law. Stolen more or less directly from Piratecat's story hour, minus about 15 levels. A not-exactly-beautiful being of incredibly sharp angles and stark demarcations. Winged, and wielding a greatsword. Halcyon was persuaded to reluctantly join the rebellion, requiring some heavily-twisted logic to do so, and maybe even accepts her punishment as justified. However, upon learning that the old pantheon is gone, she will assert that she is the only qualified being to oversee the formation of a new pantheon, which (logically {of course}) means she should be its leader.

El Pistolero, a chaotic neutral man in black, patron of shooting first and asking questions later. He is not the kind of being to draw many followers or lead great armies. He is not honorable per se, but enjoys fighting against opponents of equal skill and power, and never initiates combat against significantly weaker forces. In the old days, when he was known by many other names, he wandered from place to place, occasionally doing good works (i.e. shooting people) when common folk were threatened by powerful enemies. However, he values his personal freedom above all else and won't hesitate to put a bullet through the heart of anyone who would try to put him back in his cage.

Got an idea? Let's hear about it!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads