• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Design & Development: Likes (not Dislikes)

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20051209a

Easily my favourite column on the Wizards site, in this issue, Jesse Decker looks at a few game mechanics he really likes.

Of particular note is that he references the flaws in the mechanics as well. e.g. "The true necromancer can’t be called perfect either, and we’re well aware that it appears in some uber-powerful builds over on the Character Optimization forums."

There are a few other gems as well, especially this one: "These days, to get me excited a prestige class has to show me a character concept that I can’t execute (or at least can’t execute as optimally) with existing game elements, have a solid mechanical core, and come wrapped in compelling flavor."

Cheers!

LostSoul

Adventurer
I like the point he made about his "top 5" list. Especially the encounter design.

I had a feeling that you could make an adventure in 30 minutes using some of the tables on encounter design in the DMG and a pre-generated map. I came up with something bare-bones, but playable, within that time frame. (No equipment or treasure though, and I had to use pre-generated monsters and NPCs.)

Li Shenron

Legend
MerricB said:
"These days, to get me excited a prestige class has to show me a character concept that I can’t execute (or at least can’t execute as optimally) with existing game elements, have a solid mechanical core, and come wrapped in compelling flavor."

I would second that opinion any time. It's quite common in the past to see custom PrCls on the web which were only a mix of core classes abilities, and that IMO it's really poor. There has to be at least something which you wouldn't get within core classes.

There could be something in a PrCl which is already available in another however, as this is much less a problem, but of course it's still good to publish something which opens up a new tactic for example.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
MerricB said:
There are a few other gems as well, especially this one: "These days, to get me excited a prestige class has to show me a character concept that I can’t execute (or at least can’t execute as optimally) with existing game elements, have a solid mechanical core, and come wrapped in compelling flavor."

This is the same way I feel about feats these days.

Roger

First Post
I too must say I like the column quite a bit more than the average WotC website column.

While we're quoting the latest article, I should applaud the author's gutsiness in proclaiming that attacks of opportunity are one of the five best things about D&D 3.x.

Cheers,
Roger

SJ

Explorer
I gotta throw props to Jesse and this column. It is actually quite clever and very useful to DM's, even if they don't have design ambitions. I agree that it's nice to see someone, even from the big, evil WOTC, take a stand on positive and negative sides.

Refreshing.

blargney the second

blargney the minute's son
The design & development articles are definitely my favourite articles on the wizards website, although the Sharn Inquisitives give a great run as well!

I currently have no ambition to become a game designer, but the insight into how games are supposed to work is very inspiring for me as a player and as a DM. There are so many rules in D&D that a better understanding of the spirit of the game helps me get into the game more.

That's some good stuff!
-blarg

MerricB said:

Cheers!

It took them long enough. I might actually buy some DnD stuff again.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads