• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Design Question: Full BAB and 6th level spells?

drdevoid

Explorer
The title sums it up. While the Eldritch Knight pretty effectively allows a fighter/wizard with 9th level spells, I was wondering if there was a third edition taboo against a core class with fighter BAB and bardesque casting with a few class abilities sprinkled in. I guess it's the hexblade that's thrown me off.

The 3.5 ranger broke the apparent taboo of full bab with a d8 HD.Why is a warrior class limited to 4 spell levels?

Incidentally, I'm not suggesting that a ranger, paladin or any half-caster needs more spell levels. I'm just surprised that the bard (or even Adept) progression is just never used and that new core classes aren't designed around such an idea. Again, especially with a class like the EK PrC.

-Joe

Kalanyr

Explorer
A full BAB class with 6th level spells would step fairly heavily on the bard, is why I think we don't see one, it would either need to have virtually no non-spell abilities (making it quiet bland) or a spell-list more limited than the bards, (which is fairly hard since the bard spell-list is already quiet tightly focused).

Vrecknidj

Explorer
Given that there are zillions of prestige classes for just about anything anyone can dream up, I don't see any reason at all why there couldn't be a fighter-type that had access to spells up to 6th level. You'd have to do some work to make the class balanced, but it shouldn't be that hard.

And, since I'm assuming it'll end up being campaign-specific, it's even more reasonable.

Dave

Remove ads