• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Designing a Crystal Sphere

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Lazarous said:
-Alternatively, have the gas giant actually be a dwarf star which provides sustenance to the dark world (functionally the only difference between this and your description would be that the pseudonatural world would be visible as a star in the night sky of other worlds).

Hmm. Don't mind the idea of other worlds being able to see it in the night sky-- but if they can see it, why isn't it providing light to the Darkworld?

On the other hand... if all it were providing were heat and various supernatural energies... I wonder what such an ecology would look like.

Lazarous said:
Your description makes me think that the pseudonatural world is just freefloating without a starsystem, dunno if that's what you intend.

Well, if you've got a universe with ambient heat... it'd be possible. I was actually thinking it would work exactly that way.

Lazarous said:
There are seemingly two ways of envisioning frontier space - that of star systems out at the edges of the crystal sphere which are at such distances as to make travel dangerous/intolerably expensive, or frontiers around the periphery of each inhabited system.

I have a hard time imagining a frontier for the outer planets of each system, when inter-system travel is relatively common-- though I can imagine planets that have remained more-or-less unexplored because they're considered worthless, or there's too many monsters for sentient races to carve out much of a niche there.

Both of these could prove interesting.

The other big thing is, they've discovered humanity on almost every habitable planet they've discovered-- so you don't really get "frontiers" when you find unexplored planets, so much as you discover another group of the same people, who speak the same language and do the same magic tricks. (Hmm. This contradicts my earlier idea about colonies, but I like this better, I think.)

Hell, there's probably been incidents when two spelljammers have met in space-- each completely stunned to discover that both are on their virgin voyages, and that both are the first expedition from their home planet.

Lazarous said:
I'd recommend the former, with the star systems being strange in some way for each frontier race you wish to add.

I already have two "threats from beyond" in the planning stages-- I think it would lose its impact if you found Formian hives on the outskirts of the universe, and other "extra-alien" races in various pockets around the outside of civilized space.

I'm thinking the main distinction between "civilized space" and "frontier space" is that civilized space has full, healthy spelljammer trade routes and an established spacefaring culture. Frontier worlds see much less 'jammer traffic, and because they're less patrolled, a lot more illicit 'jammer traffic.

Lazarous said:
A bit more mundanely, a frontier star system could have weird laws of physics as compared to the rest of the crystal sphere, where gravity is weaker than normal, space is actually breathable, stars rotate around planets, that sort of thing.

I'm not sure I want to go in this direction-- a lot of the features I'm working on involve an odd consistency to the universe. This is both to make things easier for DMs and to keep the setting from fragmenting too much. (Honestly, I'm worried that the "cultural planets" are going to break important parts of the setting, but I'm too attached to the idea to scrap it.)

Korimyr the Rat said:
  • There are five "idyllic" worlds, each based on a romanticized fantasy version of a region on Earth: Western Europe, Eastern and Southern Asia, Eurasia, the Americas, and Africa. These have slight variations on the standard races, as well as multiple human cultures.
  • Most of the standard races exist on each planet, or at least each major planet. None of them have an identifiable homeworld.
  • Non-standard races are rarer and only appear on certain worlds, and some are confined to a single world. Most exist on at least one of the "idyllic" worlds, however.
  • The list of "standard" races includes all of the races in the PHB, plus Orc and Hobgoblin. I'm thinking that, to qualify as a standard race, a race must have a significant native population on three out of the five idylls.
  • Non-standard races are definitely allowed-- at least in my games-- but I'm going to place them sparingly, with a mind to where they fit in on other planets. The most common non-standard races are going to be Elan, Lizardfolk, Thri-Kreen, Nezumi, and Kobolds, followed by standard races and reptilians with draconic templates.

I like the idea of the region based idyllic worlds, but I'm not so sure about the ubiquity of the PHB races (I'm a bit leery of Euro-races in ethnic drag). Perhaps the idyllic worlds have humans and culturally significant non-human races, while worlds at their borders have different mixes. For example:

Idyll A - Humans, Gnomes, Dwarfs, Elfs, Halflings, Orc and Hobgoblins.

Idyll B - Humans, Hengeyokai, Korobokuru, Spirit Folk, Vanara and Nezumi.

Forest World AB - Humans, Gnomes, Elfs, Orcs, Korobokuru and Vanara.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Twiggly the Gnome said:
I like the idea of the region based idyllic worlds, but I'm not so sure about the ubiquity of the PHB races (I'm a bit leery of Euro-races in ethnic drag).

I think it simplifies things quite a bit-- and it's remarkable just how much different cultures have in common in their folklore. You use Korobokuru as an example, but the biggest difference between PHB Dwarf and OA Korobokuru is a difference in Favored Class.

The Wakyambi in Nyambe have different stats than the PHB Elf, but those stats happen to line up with the way I'd already had the Elves houseruled. I can cover the gap with a regional feat.

Twiggly said:
Perhaps the idyllic worlds have humans and culturally significant non-human races, while worlds at their borders have different mixes.

That's not a bad idea, either. If I cut down on the overall number of humanoids in each cultural milieu, I can make this workable. I'd still leave the really obvious analogues in place-- like Korobokuru and Dwarf, or Wakyambi and Elf-- but I don't have to be so cautious about leaving one or two races out of a world or filling their niches with non-standard races.

Because, really, I was having a hell of a time figuring out what Chinese Gnomes were.

Lazarous

First Post
I have a hard time imagining a frontier for the outer planets of each system, when inter-system travel is relatively common-- though I can imagine planets that have remained more-or-less unexplored because they're considered worthless, or there's too many monsters for sentient races to carve out much of a niche there.

Both of these could prove interesting.

The other big thing is, they've discovered humanity on almost every habitable planet they've discovered-- so you don't really get "frontiers" when you find unexplored planets, so much as you discover another group of the same people, who speak the same language and do the same magic tricks. (Hmm. This contradicts my earlier idea about colonies, but I like this better, I think.)

Hell, there's probably been incidents when two spelljammers have met in space-- each completely stunned to discover that both are on their virgin voyages, and that both are the first expedition from their home planet.

Perhaps a third option exists for frontiers - the spaces between stars. Postulate some sort of reef-like structure that can form in interstellar space, and through whatever methods provides sustenance for life. This has the benefit of being 1.hard to find (no stars to point it out) 2.being very far away from civilization and having vast distances between individual reefs.

The reefs could be rich in some resource which the idylls are interested in, so there is a constant drive to find more of them, but they are proverbial needles in the haystack, so discovering a new one is a big deal. If a particular faction manages to keep its discovery of a reef secret, then you can get your pirates dens, remote research institutes, whatever else you feel like adding.

As to the pseudonatural world, if it's freefloating then perhaps when it approaches a star system it takes on some sort of obvious visibility. A baneful red star appears in the night sky, or a comet of sinister shape dominates the southern hemisphere, that sort of thing. You could also have this directly affect the darkworld - perhaps the extra energy given out by the pseudonatural world gives more power to tainted spellcasters, causes nature on the darkworld to become more active and hostile, drives the inhabitants mad, etc.

Last edited:

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Lazarous said:
Perhaps a third option exists for frontiers - the spaces between stars. Postulate some sort of reef-like structure that can form in interstellar space, and through whatever methods provides sustenance for life.

That's a gorgeous idea. Maybe even make these the exception to the idea that where there's life, there's Humans...

Lazarous said:
As to the pseudonatural world, if it's freefloating then perhaps when it approaches a star system it takes on some sort of obvious visibility. A baneful red star appears in the night sky, or a comet of sinister shape dominates the southern hemisphere, that sort of thing. You could also have this directly affect the darkworld - perhaps the extra energy given out by the pseudonatural world gives more power to tainted spellcasters, causes nature on the darkworld to become more active and hostile, drives the inhabitants mad, etc.

This is perfect. It actually explains the surge of activity on the darkworld when it nears civilized space-- beyond the drive to acquire resources. Also, if all the pseudonaturals and tainted classes are getting all uppity, it explains why all the humanoids quit trying to commit genocide against each other and turn their attention to committing genocide against the Illithids.

If it had that affect on pseudonaturals on the darkworld, it'd also have to stir up the pseudonaturals on other nearby worlds, though to less effect...

It also makes the near passes the most logical times for Illithids to try to free their masters.

Thanks!

Lazarous

First Post
Happy i could help :).

Reading over your description of the setting, i do have a question though - if the empire worlds aren't powerful enough to take over their own star systems, what kind of brinksmanship are they engaged in? (Basically, it seems they need some sort of superweapons)

edit: ah ha! i remembered reading about the space reef idea long ago, finally tracked down the book i got it from : http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0671655582/002-0668428-8560006?v=glance

Last edited:

Korimyr the Rat said:
I think it simplifies things quite a bit-- and it's remarkable just how much different cultures have in common in their folklore. You use Korobokuru as an example, but the biggest difference between PHB Dwarf and OA Korobokuru is a difference in Favored Class.

The Wakyambi in Nyambe have different stats than the PHB Elf, but those stats happen to line up with the way I'd already had the Elves houseruled. I can cover the gap with a regional feat.

True enough. My homebrew campaign has an old world meets new world element to it, and I sort of went out of my way to make a more stark contrast. The PHB races are representative of the old world, while my new world races are an amalgamation of native and modern elements that are quintessentially American.

Infernal Teddy

Explorer
This is getting interesting! How about adding Mongooses "Chaos Magic" to the whole "tainted" idea. Or use it as the "true" magic, magic that can't normally be used inside the sphere, bacause the creators of the sphere tried to lock out the magic of the true gods (Explains why they're remote), but now the True Gods and their pseudonatural minions are slowly breaking through the barrieres...

-IT "Who might bulid this into his OA campain"

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Lazarous said:
Reading over your description of the setting, i do have a question though - if the empire worlds aren't powerful enough to take over their own star systems, what kind of brinksmanship are they engaged in? (Basically, it seems they need some sort of superweapons)

... damnation.

Good catch-- I may need to make them system-wide Empires, and then have many non-Empire systems spread out in the space between them and around them. I'll have to consider this.

And superweapons might not be a bad idea. Every campaign world needs its archmages...

Twiggly the Gnome said:
True enough. My homebrew campaign has an old world meets new world element to it, and I sort of went out of my way to make a more stark contrast. The PHB races are representative of the old world, while my new world races are an amalgamation of native and modern elements that are quintessentially American.

That actually sounds really cool, even if it doesn't fit my vision. Could you start another thread (or fire off an email) telling me about it?

Infernal Teddy said:
How about adding Mongooses "Chaos Magic" to the whole "tainted" idea. Or use it as the "true" magic, magic that can't normally be used inside the sphere, bacause the creators of the sphere tried to lock out the magic of the true gods (Explains why they're remote), but now the True Gods and their pseudonatural minions are slowly breaking through the barrieres...

"True Magic" and the "True Gods" would break the sort of divine subjectivity I'm going for-- but I can definitely adapt this into the cosmology and history. Perhaps that's the view that the Illithids hold, and as the faithful of the "True Gods", they're simply trying to make everything right in the universe. Maybe they explain that to their captives right before eating their brains-- fear may be a pleasant spice, but the dawning realization of true horror is a delicacy.

I can sprinkle in a handful of creation myths and heroic myths that hint at this, too.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Okay. I've worked out something dealing with the Empire Worlds. They do control their own systems-- it's just that instead of having multiple nations on the capitol world, each nation, which is roughly inspired by some real-life nation, is its own planet. These planets are grouped into systems based, more or less, on real-life geography. Which means you get some contradictory cultures.

Of course, there's also cross-colonization within the Empires.

I am also thinking that the Shugenja class is wholly superfluous with my usage of Spontaneous Clerics. Take an Elemental Domain and a Domain that fits your chosen elements, and you've got yourself an instant Shugenja. Of course, people not using my House Rules can't imitate it quite so easily-- but if they're really worried about portraying Shugenja properly, they probably own a book with rules for them.

Lastly, I'm thinking of giving every character one free Regional feat-- which, on non-humans, often changes some of their racial traits. This can also let me work in things like environmental adaptations.

Without any further ado, the notes I've gotten so far for each system:

(I still need names for the systems, and now for the planets themselves.)

Europe:
  • Major Races:
    • Human
    • Elf
    • Dwarf
    • Gnome
    • Halfling (is "Hin" WotC IP?)
    • Goblin -- Hobgoblin, actually. LE, Favored Gestalt Fighter/Rogue
    • Orc
  • Minor Races:
    • Kobold
    • Ogre
    • Nezumi
  • All races use standard stats. Baseline D&D is more-or-less European.
  • The capitol planet is dominated by a monotheistic church dedicated to an LG Sun god. The clergy are Clerics and Paladins. The term "Old Faith" is used collectively to refer to the various collections of polytheists, who are more or less tolerated as long as they don't rock the boat.
  • There is an Adversary Cult dedicated to the worship of an NE god of Darkness, Murder, Really Bad Things, etc. Evil Clerics and Blackguards, obviously.
  • Rural areas of the Capitol, as well as the Colonies, have far more polytheists and pantheists-- producing both Clerics and Shamans. Both the Church and the Adversary try to oppress them, but for the most part, they just come back later.
  • Non-humans follow their standard racial pantheons-- though Good humanoids are sometimes drawn to the Sun god and Evil humanoids to the Adversary.
  • Alienism is rare in this system, like most of the Core Systems. (Russia's the exception.) Alienists and Warlocks are violently persecuted.
  • Clerics and Wizards are the most common spellcasters, followed by Bards, and then Shamans and Sorcerors. Church Clerics and Academy-trained Wizards are widely respected, while foreign Clerics, Wizards, and Shamans are merely tolerated. Bards are well-loved everywhere, but also blamed for everything that goes wrong after they leave. Sorcerors are distrusted because they don't belong to Academies and they are believed to have ties to Dragons.
  • Psionics are extremely rare, with most manifesters being Wilders. Lucky Wilders are mistaken for Sorcerors, while unlucky ones are mistaken for Warlocks.
  • Artificers are rare outside Dwarven and Gnomish communities, but highly valued for their skills.

Most of my cultural details involve Religion and Magic, and their approach to each. Need to fill in more.

Asia:
  • Major Races:
    • Human
    • Dwarf -- Korobokuru -- CG Barbarian/Rogue
    • Nezumi
    • Goblin -- LE Monk/Rogue
    • Orc -- Minor or Lesser Oni, CE Hexblade/Shugenja
    • Elf -- Spirit Folk/Hengeyokai, CG Shaman/Scout. Wild Shape replaces Hengeyokai shape-shifting, both classes show strong connections to terrain, though not specific terrain.
  • Minor Races:
    • Vanara (major race on "India" world)
    • Lizardfolk
    • Ogre Mage -- Major or True Oni
    • Giff
    • Thri-Kreen
    • Yuan-Ti
  • Capitol planet mostly ancestor and spirit worship-- either Clerics or Clerics and Shugenja.
  • Monks are considered a "religious" class, while Paladins are merely "blessed" Bushi.
  • "India" planet has very strong polytheist/animist faith, with both Shamans and Psions considered holy.
  • Non-humans follow the Human religions in this system, except the Goblins who still worship the Goblin pantheon. Oni are merely the dark side of the spirits that Humans revere.
  • Alienism is likewise rare here, but isn't considered any different from "oni magic"; the locals don't go out of their way to harrass/kill alienists unless they're causing trouble.
  • Shugenja (or Cleric) most common, followed by Wizards and Sorcerors (and Clerics, if Shugenja is retained). Bards are practically unknown. Clerics and Sorcerors are respected for their powers and their close ties to the spirits or to the dragons. Wizards are distrusted for their strange (and often rude) behavior and their "independent" acquisition of magic.
  • Psionics is relatively common, and very common on the "India" planet.
  • Artificers exist, but they're almost all Human or Oni. Both races count legendary craftsmen among them who've created equally legendary weapons.

Africa:
  • Major Races:
    • Human
    • Elf -- Wakyambi -- CG Ranger/Bard (pretty standard, except for the tails)
    • Halfling -- Barbarian/Rogue. Natural attacks, possibly +1 LA. Haven't figured out alignment.
    • Gnoll -- CE Ranger/Rogue
    • Orc -- LE Fighter/Cleric -- the basis for Scro?
    • Gnome -- N Bard/Rogue w/shadow powers.
    • Lizardfolk -- Any align, Ranger/Sorceror, close ties to Dragons. (Align based on Clan.)
  • Minor Races:
    • Kobold
    • Vanara
    • Thri-Kreen
    • Giff
    • Yuan-Ti
    • Nezumi
  • This System is obviously more magical than the others; with the exception of Halflings (and Humans, with their FG: Any), every race has at least a half-caster in its FG. Decided that almost everyone with class levels is a spellcaster of some kind. Haven't figured out why.
    • More Dragons?
  • Very strong atmosphere of religious tolerance-- locals tend to simply include new gods/spirits into their current religious practice. There's too many powerful divine casters to risk an all-out holy war.
  • Most common faith is a monotheist belief with an absent Creator deity. Divine aid is granted through intermediaries-- celestials and fiends. Clergy is typically Cleric. Thank you, Nyambe.
  • Very strong Paladin and Blackguard traditions.
  • There are also numerous animistic faiths that produce Shamans.
  • Dragon worship is also common, especially among the Lizardfolk and Kobolds, who promote it among the "soft" races. Priests are either Sorcerors of the same dragon type, or Clerics with appropriate Domains. (Or both.)
  • Alienism is more common than in most other systems, simply because of the much higher prevalence of magic.
  • No know Artificer tradition; magic items are typically created by Clerics and Shamans who bind spirits into objects.
  • Sorcerors, Shamans, and Clerics are by far the most common spellcasters, followed by Wizards and Bards.
  • Psionics is rare among Humans, but near-universal among Yuan-Ti and Thri-Kreen.

Haven't started Russia yet, and I'm woefully short on America.

The Americas:
  • Major Races:
    • Human
    • Kobold -- Ohdowa -- both Chromatic (evil) and Metallic (good) versions.
    • Elves -- possibly Green Folk?
    • Halflings -- primitive jungle halflings, but not savages like African halflings.
    • Gnomes -- standard Gnomes.
    • Orcs -- Wendigo/Sasquatch
  • Minor Races:
    • Yuan-Ti
    • Lizardfolk -- Good aligned, Couatl-based?
    • Raptoran -- Good aligned, Couatl-based?
    • Thri-Kreen
  • I really need more information about Native American mythology, particularly North and Central American.
  • Capitol planet dominated by bloodthirsty theocracy; pantheon headed by Evil Sun god. Rulers are Noble/Clerics and Blackguards.
  • Non-humans and human minority groups are almost all animistic.
  • One of the colonies is controlled by an organized, peaceful culture. Mostly secular government, generally secular culture formed by Humans and Gnomes. Strong focus on Wizard and Artificer magic and on scientific studies. Good trade port.

What kinds of races can I use for the Americas? What are the magical traditions like? What non-Aztec cultures should I base the colony worlds off of?

Last edited:

Remove ads