• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Designing a Crystal Sphere

Lazarous

First Post
What kinds of races can I use for the Americas? What are the magical traditions like? What non-Aztec cultures should I base the colony worlds off of?

I suppose you're asking for minor races, since you have a full complement of major's. Hmm. The only suggestion i can think of right now is to use the woodling template and count all created sentients from that as one race. Take a fading suns symbiote twist on them - that is, woodlings are created for the most part against their will, but once created they feel content with their situation. (inspired a bit by swamp thing :) )

Definitely take some of the north american indian tribes as colony worlds, possibly give their magic a twist - their clerics/shamans can only channel power after they use certain holy herbs. My knowledge of ancient american history/cultures is extremely limited, so i can't really give you much detail. Some tribes i remember as being worth researching a bit for ideas - cherokee, iriquois, lakota.

Korimyr the Rat said:
What kinds of races can I use for the Americas? What are the magical traditions like? What non-Aztec cultures should I base the colony worlds off of?

In my campaign setting I took a cue from Alternity in making the PC races of my rough Americas analog. If you're familiar with the Alternity races, the parallels aren't too hard to see. :)

Mechanically, I tweaked the stats of some existing races to get what I needed. Ohdowa are a Gnome and Kobold combo, with a dash of Dwarf. Sokqueatl are based on the Krynn Minotaur, Mannegishi owe a lot to the Kalashtar, and the Tlanuwa are a Raptoran variant.

Ohdowa

This race combines elements of the creature from the stories of south-western tribes, with the saurians of modern UFO lore and Richard Shaver's Dero and Tero. Ohdowa are small reptilian humanoids.

Ohdowa possess the following racial traits.

+2 Constitution, +2 Dexterity, -4 Strength.

Small: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.

A ohdowa’s base land speed is 30 feet.

Darkvision out to 60 feet.

+2 racial bonus on saving throws against enchantments.

Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against enchantment spells cast by ohdowa. This adjustment stacks with those from similar effects, such as the Spell Focus feat.

+2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.

+2 racial bonus on Bluff and Sense Motive.

Automatic Languages: Common, Ohdowa. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Gnoll, Terran, Mannegishi, Sokqueatl, Tlanuwa.

Spell-Like Abilities: 1/day—speak with animals (saurian only, duration 1 minute). An ohdowa with a Charisma score of at least 10 also has the following spell-like abilities: Daze - 2/day. Caster level 1st; save DC 10 + ohdowa’s Cha modifier + spell level.

Favored Class: Wokan (i.e. Sorcerer).

Sokqueatl

These are the creatures spoken of by the north-western tribes that inspired the legend of sasquatch, or bigfoot. Sokqueatl stand nearly eight feet tall and are covered in thick fur. They have faces that suggest both beast and human.

Sokqueatl possess the following racial traits.

+4 Strength, -2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma
Medium: As Medium creatures, sokqueatl have no special bonuses or penalties.

Sokqueatl base land speed is 30 feet.

Sokqueatl have the Scent special quality.

Natural armor: Sokqueatl have exceptionally tough hides, which gives them a +2 natural armor bonus to AC.

Natural weapon: Sokqueatl have a slam attack that deals 1d4 points of bludgeoning damage.

+2 racial bonus on Hide and Intimidate checks.

Automatic Languages: Common and Sokqueatl. Bonus Languages: Sylvan, Gnoll, Ohdowa, Mannegishi, Tlanuwa.

Favored Class: Barbarian.

Mannegishi

This race is inspired by the creature from tales of the north-eastern tribes, as well as the "Dover Demon" and the modern Grey. Mannegishi are humanoids with no hair and brownish-grey skin, similar in appearance to wet river stone. They have large black eyes, but nearly non-existant ears and noses. Their hands and feet each have six digits.

Mannegishi possess the following racial traits.

+2 Intelligence, +2 Dexterity, -2 Constitution, -2 Strength.

Medium: As Medium creatures, mannegeshi have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Mannegishi base land speed is 30 feet. Mannegishi have a swim speed of 40 feet

Amphibious (Ex): Mannegishi can survive indefinitely on land and in fresh water. They can not breathe saltwater.

Low-Light Vision

+2 racial bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting spells and effects, and possession.

Naturally Psionic: Mannegishi gain 1 extra power point per character level, regardless of whether they choose a psionic class.

Psi-like Abilities: Mindlink (1/day). This ability is like the power manifested by a wilder of 1/2 the Mannegishi's Hit Dice (minimum 1st level).

Automatic Languages: Common and Mannegishi. Bonus Languages: Aquan, Gnoll, Ohdowa, Sokqueatl, Tlanuwa.

Favored Class: Ulansuti (i.e. Psion)

Tlanuwa

This creature blends aspects of the "great mythic hawk" of the south-eastern tribes with the thunderbird, and the cryptoform known as the mothman. Tlanuwa are winged humanoids with feathered bodies. They stand with a hunch, and have faces reminiscent of both hawk and owl.

Tlanuwa possess the following racial traits.

+2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, -2 Constitution, -2 Charisma.

Medium: As Medium creatures, tlanuwa have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.

Tlanuwa base land speed is 30 feet.

Low-Light Vision.

Wing-Aided Movement: Tlanuwa can use their wings to help with movement even if they can't fly yet. The extra lift from her wings gives a tlanuwa a +10 racial bonus on Jump checks.

Gliding (Ex): A tlanuwa can use her wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Tlanuwa glide at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). Even if a tlanuwa's maneuverability improves, she can't hover while gliding. A tlanuwa can't glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If a tlanuwa becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, her wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The tlanuwa descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.

Flight (Ex): When a tlanuwa reaches 5 Hit Dice, she becomes able to fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). A tlanuwa can't fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted. Tlanuwa can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they're fatigued at the end of the flight. Tlanuwa are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because tlanuwa can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued).

When they reach 10 Hit Dice, tlanuwa have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running. A tlanuwa with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the raptoran must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. A tlanuwa can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon; if the attack hits, it deals double damage. A tlanuwa with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line.

Child of Thunder: Tlanuwa spellcasters cast spells with the electricity and sonic descriptor at +1 caster level.

Unerring Direction: Tlanuwa have an instinctive sense of which direction is north, even when they are underground or otherwise unable to see the sky or other visual cues. Beyond the Material Plane, this ability doesn't function.

+2 racial bonus on Climb and Spot checks.

Automatic Languages: Common and Tlanuwa. Bonus Languages: Auran, Gnoll, Mannegishi, Ohdowa, Sokqueatl.

Favored Class: Ranger.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Twiggly the Gnome said:
In my campaign setting I took a cue from Alternity in making the PC races of my rough Americas analog. If you're familiar with the Alternity races, the parallels aren't too hard to see. :)

Yeah, I can definitely see it. I was thinking of doing some kind of Sasquatch, but I ended up taking a friend's advice and using Orc for Wendigo. Only need one of those in any given campaign. :)

Twiggly the Gnome said:
Mechanically, I tweaked the stats of some existing races to get what I needed.

Heh. Then we're dealing with exactly the sort of thing I need. :)

Twiggly said:
Ohdowa -- This race combines elements of the creature from the stories of south-western tribes, with the saurians of modern UFO lore and Richard Shaver's Dero and Tero. Ohdowa are small reptilian humanoids.

Sounds like I can use Kobolds, then. If I stick to the whole draconic roots thing, I can use Chromatic and Metallic Kobolds and sprinkle them all over the system. I might even replace the peace-loving Gnomes with Ohdowa Kobolds-- though I like the idea of even good-aligned Kobolds and Gnomes having a rivalry.

Maybe I can cut Lizardfolk or turn them down to Minor Race status. I kinda like the idea of Paladin Lizardfolk as Couatl servitors, though... but Kobolds as 0 LA make a better main race.

Twiggly said:
Sokqueatl -- These are the creatures spoken of by the north-western tribes that inspired the legend of sasquatch, or bigfoot. Sokqueatl stand nearly eight feet tall and are covered in thick fur. They have faces that suggest both beast and human.

Yeah, this is also pretty close to Wendigo-- was gonna use Orcs for this role. They're hairy, bestial, mean-- and Cold Resistance is a neat quality for a regional feat to bestow.

Twiggly said:
Tlanuwa -- This creature blends aspects of the "great mythic hawk" of the south-eastern tribes with the thunderbird, and the cryptoform known as the mothman. Tlanuwa are winged humanoids with feathered bodies. They stand with a hunch, and have faces reminiscent of both hawk and owl.

I was thinking of breaking out the Aaracokra. Figure, brightly colored Aarakocra and Lizardfolk would both be awesome in the jungles of South America. (Also lets me use Spelljammer ideas like the closer a Lizardfolk is to the Sun while being incubated, the smarter and more competent they'll be upon hatching.) I could probably also use Aarakocra in the Oriental Adventures system as a representation of Kenku.

Of course, I could use Raptoran for either-- and it would probably work better that way. I was half-tempted to bust out Sesheyans, but that'd be awfully weird for a D&D game. (Though... an "upgraded" Sesheyan might be cool for a darkworld version of Raptoran...)

Thanks!

edit: Thri-Kreen keep getting shoved into minor status on the Core worlds. I think I'm going to make them more prevalent in Frontier Space, along with other bugfolk like Dromites and Rastipedes. Since Xixchil are Aberrations, I might use them as a kind of BBNG-- scary, intelligent aliens who aren't necessarily a threat to us. The Thri-Kreen and Dromites are terrified of them-- possibly because the Xixchil evolved from Thri-Kreen and were responsible for creating the Dromites.

I'm also going to make Yuan-Ti more common in Frontier Space, just to prove that not all of the dangers in the Universe are pseudonatural.

Last edited:

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
The Dark World:
  • Major Races:
    • Humans -- with darkvision and flexible racial mutations. Probably +1 LA.
    • Orcs -- probably Orog or equivalent.
    • Elves -- Drow
    • Gnomes -- Svirfneblin -- Deep Gnomes have Taint Immunity. Rogue/Artificer?
    • Dwarves -- Duergar
    • Illithids -- not playable as PCs, but their presence is definitely felt.
  • Minor Races:
    • Ith-Kon -- Illithid servitors from Dragonstar Galactic Races
    • Elan -- modelled after Dark Humans, so probably have an LA as well.
    • Nezumi -- possibly upgraded like the other races. Have Taint Immunity, like the Svirfs.
  • Might throw in bugfolk, too-- Kreen, Dromites, and Xixchil. Bugfolk go well in dark, cavernous places.
  • I might put together Dragon Bloodlines for Deep Dragons and Shadow Dragons, as well as some kind of Pseudonatural Dragon, and then include Kobolds that use those bloodlines instead of the standard ten. The Underdark world needs some kind of scalykind.
  • As far as religion goes, Drow worship Lolth. Illithids worship the biggest of the pseudonatural horrors. Svirfneblin worship the Gnomish pantheon. Not sure about Orcs or Duergar. Humans, I see, as not having use for religion of any kind and they may be prone to associating all of it with Drow or Illithid practices.
  • Arcane magic and Psionics are more common than Divine magic, which is pretty much the domain of Drow and Illithids. (Illithids are Cleric/Psion in this world-- with really messed-up domains.)
  • There are no native Shamans. Things that bond to the spirits here become Cleric/Alienists-- assuming they aren't eaten first.
  • There are no Paladins here. Blackguards are hailed as heroes to all but the Gnomes, because at least they're not Aliens.
  • Drow kill their own when they become Tainted. Gnomes are immune. Duergar have good Fortitude saves and possibly a racial bonus-- for the most part, they resist the Taint, and generally ignore dwarves who acquire it, unless they become active Alienists. Orcs and Humans embrace the Taint and the mutant powers it gives them, though they use them to oppose the Illithids.

In the vein of parallel races, the Cherokee have two creatures roughly analogous to Elves and Gnomes.

Nunnehi serve a role very similar to Elves, but live in the habitat assosiated with Dwarves in baseline D&D, a reversal of the Korobokuru situation in OA. Give them darkvision instead lowlight vision and your golden.

Tsundigewi are very gnome-like, especially if you use the Forest Gnome subrace to represent them.

Korimyr the Rat said:
One of the colonies is controlled by an organized, peaceful culture. Mostly secular government, generally secular culture formed by Humans and Gnomes. Strong focus on Wizard and Artificer magic and on scientific studies. Good trade port.

Rather than secular, perhaps this is a stronghold for devotion to the Couatl lord, instead of the blood thirsty sun god.

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
Twiggly the Gnome said:
Nunnehi serve a role very similar to Elves, but live in the habitat assosiated with Dwarves in baseline D&D, a reversal of the Korobokuru situation in OA. Give them darkvision instead lowlight vision and your golden.

Tsundigewi are very gnome-like, especially if you use the Forest Gnome subrace to represent them.

Wow. I am bathed in references to the Nunnehi-- mostly Changeling resources. On the other hand, I can probably blend together a couple of the subtypes I'm seeing and get something pretty distinctive.

The only thing I can find on the Tsundigewi is a major animosity towards birds. This amuses me-- perhaps I can make the Raptorans a lot closer aligned to the church of the bloodthirsty Sun god.

Korimyr the Rat said:
The only thing I can find on the Tsundigewi is a major animosity towards birds. This amuses me-- perhaps I can make the Raptorans a lot closer aligned to the church of the bloodthirsty Sun god.

You might also try searching under Yunwi Tsunsdi.

Remove ads