• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Designing a murder mystery

Gregor

First Post
Hey everyone!

I want to try and put together a murder mystery for two of my players to participate in. One of the PCs is a bard and the other is a rogue / wizard. Both characters are 4th level.

I want to work these characters into the main campaign so I am thinking of having them go to a dinner party (Clue cliche) at the local High Councilor's home. Who should I include? Are there any modules out there? Anyone run a murder mystery in d&d? Anything I should be wary of?

My thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Start from the end and work your way backwards to the point where the players enter the plot. Build a flow chart, clue A found; yes or no, both lead you down a path, some to the next clue, some back to a missed clue or a faults lead. Think of each clue as a room in a dungeon and biuld the event for when the players come to it.

Build your suspects and NPC base. Motive, opperatunity and means, just keep that in mind.

Last edited:

Gilladian

Adventurer
Beware of several "spoiler spells" such as divination, detect lies and charm person. Figure out whether your PCs are likely to use them, and then make notes to yourself how to deal with the effects. Don't try to "foil" every use of them, but decide if they have charm available, what the reactions of each person will be if charmed. Remember, a murderer may think you are his friend, but that doesn't mean he confesses to you. In fact, he may decide that as his friend, you are the easiest one to pin the crime on; after all if you like him, you'll want to cover for him, right?

Also beware of the possibility that the PCs will be so obtuse as to fail to notice major clues. Every clue needs to have at least two ways to lead to it. And you need a way to break them away from a bad train of thoughts/events if they start following a red herring too seriously. An NPC can help here, but be careful not to overuse the device.

A dinner party also makes an excellent venue to drop leads to later storylines; meeting potential employers, overhearing or seeing deals being made, or romances beginning/ending, or enemies being made are all potential ideas.

I really enjoyed a little mystery called the "Murder of Seven Points" that I ran for my gamers a couple of times. It's one of those half-sized modules; I don't remember who put it out. I rewrote it extensively for my campaign, because it really was rather weak and cliche'd, with a killer trying to complete a ritual to waken a demon. But there's a barebones plot there which fleshes out nicely.

Gilladian

Steverooo

First Post
BAD DOG (Stop splashing young boys)!

Gregor said:
Who should I include?
Are there any modules out there?
Anyone run a murder mystery in d&d?
Anything I should be wary of?

Include the Murderer (unless the "victim" is him - it is almost cliche' that the first one "killed" really isn't dead, and is killing the rest), multiple suspects, the "loyal servants", and the other PCs. Also, it is possible that the killer has already escaped by the time that the PCs become aware of the murder.

There doubtless are, but I can't think of one, off-hand.

I have run "The Mysterious Murder of the Silver Mage" since 1e.

Assume Clerics, Druids, Paladins, Rangers, and other such spellcasters have ALL the spells on their lists, and plan for them. With Wizards and Sorcerers (with restricted numbers of spells), you only need to plan for the ones they have access to... Consider how these can be used. Speak With Dead can be a real game-buster... UNLESS the victim was asleep when murdered! ;-)

Note that, in AD&D, almost ANYTHING can be a witness, depending upon levels and magic items! In TMMotSM, I had a Druid question a TREE outside the Wizard's tower... and discover a clue that I honestly didn't expect the PCs to find! Likewise, Speak With Animals and Stonetell make even pets and inanimate objects possible witnesses!

So, what I did was, first, figure out who did what... Next, look at what clues would have been left by those actions, and what evidence was left. Then determine how that evidence could be found... Spot, Search, spells, questioning people, plants, animals, and/or stones, what the butler heard, what the maid did, etc. Appointment calendars, aides' chores, etx., could all be clues.

Don't be afraid to toss out a few red herrings, include an official Investigator to represent the law (but have him accept help from the PCs), have multiple suspects, have a few people who lie about something UNRELATED to the murder (such as sleeping with the chambermaid, etc). This allows Detect Lies to throw them off the trail. The "suspect" was covering up his indiscretions, but isn't the killer, etc.

Have MORE clues than you think the PCs can find, magically... They will usually miss a couple, not have the spells prepared, etc. Expect them NOT to have all the info! Also, expect them to chase a few wild geese, and be patient... Also, when they can't figure it out, expect them to whine for clues, and ask for "an NPC to drop us some hints", instead of going out and looking for the clues, themselves... If being a detective were easy, everybody would be doing it!

Establish the motive(s), opportunity, and means of the murder. Decide how well it was planned, what clues were left, whether or not the murderer realizes it, and if they'll be going back to clean upafter themself... If so, how will they hide the evidence, and how will they explain it, if caught?

For instance, if Mary the Mage killed Col. Mustard in the Study with a Fireball, expect some flame damage... Now Mary (a Mage) is pretty smart, but obviously unprepared. Otherwise, she woulda used something QUIETER than Fireball! She is smart, however, so she gets outta there, fast... After the flames are put out, and the murder has been "reported", she might go back to she if she left any clues, explaining it away as "seeing where th' po' Col. died".

In my mystery, the PCs immediately suspected the Silver Mage's Apprentice (as I had expected). He wasn't guilty, but they thought he was, for a while, and gave him a hard time, even though he cooperated... Eventually, they decided he wasn't the murderer.

Even for the simplest cases, you have to expect the mystery to run for several sessions. They will probably also go off to someplace totally unconnected to the mystery, too... That's okay, LET THEM! It gives the murderer more time to clean up! :p

strawberryJAMM

First Post
Gregor said:
Are there any [murder mystery] modules out there?
There is a boxed module called "Night of the Vampire" that is a combination dinner-party murder/theft/vampire mystery. The adventure was put out for the Mystara campaign after they tried converting it from "0-edition" D&D to 2E.

In addition to the regular booklet, this particular boxed set includes a fold out map of the mansion where the events take place and also a CD that accompanies the adventure with background sounds and NPC dialogue that are keyed to places and events in the module. The CD is actually quite useful, despite some fairly serious flaws - especially the fact that several tracks include dialog attributed to the PCs. (The trick is to ask the players to listen to the sounds and NPC dialog and just ignore any of the so-called-PC dialog)

Even if you didn't actually use this module yourself, the way the storyline and timeline are developed and work with each other would probably prove useful for developing your own mystery, and the fold out map of the mansion will probably be useful too.

This module is available via ESD at SVGames, although I have no idea how they've dealt with the CD issue (Hopefully they've at least provided a transcription along with everything else. If not, and you pick it up, I could probably be persuaded to transcribe it.)

Jenni

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
People I would have as contacts/suspects:
City Watchman
The person(s) who found the body
The person at the morgue
The people at the last place the victim was at
Business associates
Family members
Mistress(s)
Staff of household
Foes and people who hated the victim - this are people done wrong or people who had plots exposed by the victim, they are known and out in the open, where others could be hidden

Gregor

First Post
Hey everyone, thanks for all the suggestions!

I put together a list of about 14 characters at a dinner party, each with their own background, connection to the victim, etc. Basically a ton of things for the party to investigate. That flow chart idea really helped out alot, it was easier to write things out once I could visualize it.

I think I may look into a couple of those modules just to see what others have put together. Ill try and post the results of the session for you guys to see. My thanks again!

Cheers,

Wraith Form

Explorer
Gregor said:
Ill try and post the results of the session for you guys to see.
Please do: I'd love to read about details of gameplay for this type of adventure. I've never DM'ed a mystery, but always wanted to--I can live vicariously through your experience!

shilsen

Adventurer
Steverooo said:
Speak With Dead can be a real game-buster... UNLESS the victim was asleep when murdered! ;-)

Or took a knife in the back. Or was killed by a murderer disguised as someone else (that can really throw the PCs for a loop). Or...

Divinations are great for players, but just as much fun for the DM.

Remove ads