• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Designing a notebook computer?

Sometime in the next six months or so, I'm going to want to purchase a notebook computer. Not for any need to travel with a computer (since I'm prone to dropping stuff), but mainly because I'm sick of accessing my computer from only one place.

I'm not sure what I want in my computer, so I was hoping I could get some help from all you tech gurus.

What I'd like to use my computer for:

Computer games (biggest one is Civ3, probably--need a better mouse-replacement than a touchpad, though)

Microsoft Office (2000 Pro, XP Pro, and Windows XP Pro, possibly running multiple programs at once = large amounts of RAM)

Listening to music (iTunes, with most of my music uploaded) and reading my ESDs (about 200 PDFs), so I need a biggish hard drive (and a decent-sized screen...)

I'm planning on hooking it up to my minitower obsolete machine to print and stuff, so at most I need a USB2 port. And since I'm planning on using it with a power supply, a huge battery is unneeded...

Anyway, is it possible to get such a computer for around $1,500? (Won't happen for a couple months, so Dell's current bargains (no shipping, free memory upgrade, 1 year same-as-cash deals) aren't much use to me...)

cybertalus

First Post
A few things to consider about laptops:

Compared to desktops, they aren't very upgradeable. You might be able to add some RAM or a bigger hard drive, but in all likelihood you will be stuck with whatever video card you get at the time of purchase. The inability to upgrade your video card will probably br the biggest single obstacle to future game playing.

Laptop keyboards are awful. In particular if you're used to doing tasks which make use of a numeric keypad you will have problems. The lack of a numeric keypad is the reason I never played Civ 2 Gold on my laptop.

If you don't like touchpads you're going to find your choices pretty narrow. Last I knew the only currently alternative is the little "eraser head" device (sometimes called an Accupoint) that sits in the middle of the keyboard, and AFAIK that is only available on IBM and Toshiba laptops (though Toshiba may be phasing it out as well).

Being able to surf the net while lying on the couch is very cool, although for this application the lighter the computer the better. Eight and a half pounds doesn't sound like much until you leave it sitting on your chest for a while.

You'll want to pick a computer with a screen resolution you can live with. Computers now may be different (my laptop is four years old -- an eternity in computer time), but my laptop can actually only handle one resolution -- 800 x 600. It can simulate 640 x 480 with large black borders at the edge of the screen, or higher resolutions by putting part of the windows offscreen and allowing panning, but the screen itself never changes from 800 x 600.

I'm not saying any of this to discourage you. My laptop was my main computer for about three years and I don't regret having bought it. It's just that there are a lot of tradeoffs to make in order to get portability.

LightPhoenix

First Post
cybertalus said:
Compared to desktops, they aren't very upgradeable. You might be able to add some RAM or a bigger hard drive, but in all likelihood you will be stuck with whatever video card you get at the time of purchase. The inability to upgrade your video card will probably br the biggest single obstacle to future game playing.

If you don't like touchpads you're going to find your choices pretty narrow. Last I knew the only currently alternative is the little "eraser head" device (sometimes called an Accupoint) that sits in the middle of the keyboard, and AFAIK that is only available on IBM and Toshiba laptops (though Toshiba may be phasing it out as well).
Just wanted to make a few comments.

Really, if you get a decent laptop and get some RAM upgrades, you should be fine as far as most older games go. If you want to play newer games, you're probably better off with a desktop - upgrading is just more cost effective, what with rapidly changing technologies. Still, I'd spend as much as possible to get a machine with a good laptop... cybertalus is absolutely right about the inability to upgrade. It's one of the main reasons I don't have one yet, though I'll likely need one for grad school.

Also, most laptops have interfaces for standard mice that you can plug in the back and use instead of the touchpad.

ChromWolf

First Post
First of all, I would say one thing above all else: SHOP AROUND. Know what you're getting, and make sure you're paying the least amount of money you possibly can for it.

Next, I would say it may be a good idea to consider a local computer shop you trust over a national chain---typically, the smaller places are going to offer lower prices to get you shop there, and as long as you don't leave your area often (or are planning on moving anytime soon), it may be a good thing to look into.

Otherwise, though, it's a good idea with a laptop to "overbuy" what you need---as the others say, laptops have next-to-nil upgradability, and finding out that something isn't good enough a year down the road will be very disappointing.

Also, if you're going to use the laptop enough, BUY THE EXTENDED WARRANTY! There are pretty much no servicable parts on a laptop, which means you can't just pull out your dead video card or processor and replace it with a new one---you've got to send it in for repairs, or often even a replacement.

Now to technical details...

Your laptop brand is a tough call... I find my liking going with either HP or Dell (in that order); you can still get a Compaq, but since Compaq is now a subsidiary of HP, it seems extraneous that HP would still offer Compaq laptops when they have their own models. Other people will likely recommend other brands, and that's cool... I will say this: I WHOLEHEARTEDLY suggest you avoid Gateway at all costs. I worked there for all of 5 weeks, and it was worse than "ridiculous" and "loathesome". Felt like NOTHING got done. If you trust them, and they have the lowest price, then go for it, but I've said my peace.

For processors, you can go either AMD or Intel... honestly, there's going to be very little difference for what you plan to be doing with it. You can go either one; I would have to say neither is going to be really better (or worse, for that matter) than the other. There are those who stand by one or the other quite religiously (I happen to strongly prefer AMD's over Intel), but it's really up to you, and the price.

Your processor speed should be at least 2 GHz if you can manage, however (overbuying here)... You won't necessarily need anywhere near that, but there are games already requiring 1 GHZ CPU's, if I'm not mistaken.

As you say, you're going to want a fairly hefty HD... I would say go at least 80 GB if you can manage, and go "7200 RPM". By RPM, that does mean Rotations Per Minute; the hard drive can spin faster, and thus has a faster access time.

You'll want at least 512 MB of RAM; With WinXP, 256 is about the minimum, but as you say, you'll have a lot of programs open, want to play games, music, etc. If you can manage, get the highest listing of "PCxxxx" memory you can find ((note that this depends on your processor bus speed; don't worry if you don't know what that means, as any major computer store won't let you buy a computer with incompatible processor speeds vs. RAM speeds))---this is called DDR memory, and is faster than the now older SDRAM. Rambus memory, if you can even find it, is likely not worth it, since the performance imporvements vs. cost ratio is way out of wack.

normal CD-ROM drives seem like a downgrade nowadays; normal "included in price" packages should likely include at least a 40x CD burner, or at least a 12x DVD-ROM (usually closer to 48x burners, or 16x DVD-ROMs)... If you want, you can even get a combo CD-RW/DVD-ROM, and I think I've even seen DVD-RW's (burn DVDs!!), but that'll likely cost you. My recommendation is the combo CD-RW/DVD drive.

Many laptops today don't actually come with built-in floppy drives... although this is personal preference, I would highly recommend getting a laptop with a floppy drive... lets you "quickly" copy (well, relatively, for a floppy drive) files to a floppy, plus lets you use boot floppies in an emergency.... and by "emergency", I mean "your CD drive isn't booting CD's" or whatnot. Either way, IMVHO, just a handy thing to have.

Most laptops have onboard LAN, plus a PS2 connector for mice or keyboards--and many have 1, 2, or even 3 USB connectors for mice, keyboards, cameras, printers, or whatever else you might want to use. Many laptops even feature an onboard wireless controller; I would say try for the 802.11g (also called 54g) wireless protocol; that's the newest (and fastest) one, last I knew, and I believe it's also backwards compatible (you can still use it with older wireless hardware). Either way, you should also have at least one, if not two, PC card slots for anything else you might want to use (including ethernet cards or wireless cards, should the laptop you choose not have those built-in).

If you can (that is, if better battery options are available), don't skimp on the battery. After all, the main point of a laptop is portability--so if you're tied to a cord cuz your battery life isn't that long, then you've sorta defeated the purpose... :)

That should likely be all you need to know.... If you have any other questions, have a look at one of my favorite sites, www.pcmech.com. The forums there should be extremely informative, and the tutorials there can be very helpful.

Incidentally, I sorta wrote all this without any knowledge of just how much you know about computers... so, if this is essentially "dumb-talking" you, please forgive. :)

drothgery

First Post
ChromWolf said:
Your processor speed should be at least 2 GHz if you can manage, however (overbuying here)... You won't necessarily need anywhere near that, but there are games already requiring 1 GHZ CPU's, if I'm not mistaken.
I'd interject here that if you get a laptop with a Pentium-M or Celeron-M CPU(often 'Centrino' branded; note that a Pentium M is NOT the same thing as a Pentium 4-M or a Mobile Pentium 4), which is a good idea if battery life means anything to you, it can be clocked quite a bit lower. Intel doesn't use any kind of 'model numbers' yet, so it's important to remember that a 1.4 GHz Pentium M is roughly equivalent to a 2.2 GHz Pentium 4 or an Athlon XP 2200+ (which actually runs at 1.8 GHz).

ChromWolf said:
As you say, you're going to want a fairly hefty HD... I would say go at least 80 GB if you can manage, and go "7200 RPM". By RPM, that does mean Rotations Per Minute; the hard drive can spin faster, and thus has a faster access time.
Again, here we're talking notebooks, so unless you're building an 8 or 9 pound brick that's only portable in the sense that it's possible to pick up and carry it in theory, you'll find it hard to get even 5400 RPM drives. Standard notebook drives are 4200 RPM; 5400 RPM drives are an expensive upgrade. And forget about anything bigger than about 60 GB in a sub-8 lb notebook.

thatdarncat

Overlord of Chat
Both Microsoft and Logitech make trackballs (both wired and wireless). I used a trackball for my laptop until Seri swiped it for her desktop. I currently use an optical mouse. Both options work well, but I'd probably suggest a trackball unless you're playing "twitch" games

alberk

First Post
If you're going for portability mini pc's and cubes are a good way to go, so that you can maintain your upgrade-ability, yet still be small enough to carry to LAN parties and stuff in a duffel bag on a trip out somewhere... you just won't be able to flip it open and on like a laptop on a train/bus ride anywhere...

As for building a laptop, it's far safer and more to your benefit to just buy one because of the lack of upgrade-ability in notebooks/laptops.

Dell, and Alienware make excellent gaming laptops.
MiniPCs are available in lots of places, you can google for them... or
http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/handhelds/

EricNoah

Adventurer
Just a bump because I'm thinking of getting a laptop soon too. :)

Edit: my needs are as follows:

wireless use in my home -- want to use it at the table while running games, or surf internet in the living room.

read PDFs on trips

use eTools to generate characters, monsters, etc.

Word processing, spreadsheets, etc.

Some gaming (I have not been doing a lot recently but still might like to play a game like Half-Life 2 when it comes out).

I'm also considering getting a laser printer instead of my old inkjet -- any suggestions there?

Last edited:

Krieg

First Post
In all honesty I wouldn't plan on playing Half-Life 2 or Quake III on anything in the range you are looking for.

Alienware's machines costing 2K+ are probably the only laptops that will be able to handle the higher end DX9 games that will coming out in the future. The Alienware machines are far more upgradeable than the average laptop. That also includes their video subsystem so in a year or so you'll be able to swap in a mobile member of the new Radeon X800 or GeForce 6800 families.

Alienware's machines also use desktop P4's rather than the mobile models. That means they are typically going to have better performance, but will also run hotter & have a much shorter battery life.

Personally given your needs I would try to find a machine with the Intel Centrino. It is a good chipset with excellent all around performance & designed with wireless as a priority.

I've used IBM Thinkpads through work for quite some time & have been extremely happy with them. Unfortunately they also tend to be a tad pricier than the competition, and 3D video performance isn't a priority in corporate machines.

Remove ads