• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Designing an Arabian Nights-flavored area

Ibn Khaldun

Explorer
As far as cultural things, you can emphasize the importance of water, both physically and symbolically (desert peoples), hospitality, honor, and slavery. Do they worship the same gods or their own pantheon? Don't forget tribal, clan divisions: mountain versus valley/plain versus desert, sedentary farmers versus migratory hunters/raiders/herders.

Governmentally, are the heads of state also religious leaders?

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Ibn Khaldun said:
As far as cultural things, you can emphasize the importance of water, both physically and symbolically (desert peoples), hospitality, honor, and slavery.

This reminds me somewhat of Dune, though Murkraal is not nearly that desolate. I'll devote soem thought to symbology...

Ibn Khaldun said:
Do they worship the same gods or their own pantheon?

The same gods are worshipped in Murkraal as elsewhere in the world - for the most part. I'm imagining that there will be differences arising from cultural variations.

Ibn Khaldun said:
Don't forget tribal, clan divisions: mountain versus valley/plain versus desert, sedentary farmers versus migratory hunters/raiders/herders.

Excellent point!

Ibn Khaldun said:
Governmentally, are the heads of state also religious leaders?

I'm thinking that this will vary amongst the different nations. Some will probably have a religious priest-king thing going on, but others will be much more secular in nature. I'm thinking that will fall along a old kingdom/new kingdom fault line.

A lot of ideas are sparking around in my head right now - I may try posting up some rudimentary nation outlines in a day or two...

Ibn Khaldun

Explorer
Kid Charlemagne said:
This reminds me somewhat of Dune, though Murkraal is not nearly that desolate. I'll devote soem thought to symbology...
Well, Dune is pretty extreme in that regard but touches like the importance of offering or receiving water (Kingdom of Heaven) or merchants who buy, trade, or sell water, etc. to the wonder/horror associated with water-based effects/magics/monsters.

Dread October

First Post
Kid Charlemagne said:
Certain areas of Murkraal will work well with this - disputed areas between large, powerful Emirates. Thanks for bringing up resource conflicts - that is something that I hadn't really considered.

Whooo Hoooo!!!

30+ posts and I have actually contributed something useful!

Now I can hit the pro wrestling boards and see if I can make them think about the "Long Emergency" while they ponder why RAW sucked!

Slapzilla

First Post
Think also about how food is handled, especially meats. Cattle gotta eat too and resource-wise, well, there ain't much cattle that eat sand. There is a reason for Ha'lal and Kosher traditions. How is hospitality going to be handled? Is there going to be a class or caste system? What is the Murkrallian Dream? What are the marriage, birth and death rituals? Knowing these things will lend flavor to your world.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
I hope you don't mind but the new character I've created for a home game is from Murkraal

After reading this thread and then all of a sudden 13th Warrior was on TV, and then getting asked to make a new character, I couldn't resist

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
DarwinofMind said:
I hope you don't mind but the new character I've created for a home game is from Murkraal

After reading this thread and then all of a sudden 13th Warrior was on TV, and then getting asked to make a new character, I couldn't resist

That's very cool, and I certainly don't mind!

Remove ads