• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Designing user-friendly adventure module maps

djdaidouji

First Post
I posted this yesterday in the 4e Fan Creations forum, and I got 4 replies, none of which understood my question. I realize this is probably because I phrased it badly, but I think I'll post it in general anyway, as it has more to do with adventure modules in general then anything else.

I'm going to be making short modules and posting them on my site for free. I don't have any up, I still need to make them GSL compliant and whatnot, but I can worry about that later. I should mention I've never done anything like this, and I've only been playing for about a year. I don't suggest anyone actually use my modules.

What I'd like to know: How should my adventure maps come? For example, the module I'm working on is in underground ruins, and I have a map much like the levels in KotS. I absolutely LOVED their full maps, but since my modules are in PDF form, full maps won't exactly work. I want to find a good way for people to use the maps without much preparation. The DM prints it out, reads the first four pages so he knows all of the secrets, and then he can play it. Fifteen minute prep max.

How can I achieve this? I could print every room on a page at the end, and have the DM just put them together like a jigsaw. (As long as the hallways are next to the edge of the map, the players can just pretend that white border isn't there.) Does anyone else have any better ideas?

When I posted this question last time, people thought I was asking how to make someone else's maps work in my game. What I am actually asking is "WHAT CAN I DO AS A DESIGNER TO HELP OUT THE DM AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE."

defendi

Explorer
I'd try to present them in a way that's easy to print for free. I like CC3, because it has a free viewer and you can print tiled pages at miniature scale. Other programs might be able to do the same. :)

delericho

Legend
djdaidouji said:
I could print every room on a page at the end, and have the DM just put them together like a jigsaw.

If you want to minimise prep time, this is probably the way to go.

If you don't mind increasing the prep time a bit, you could break up the map into tiles, where each is a room/corridor/whatever (possibly needing multiple tiles for a particularly big room), and require the DM to cut them out before use.

Remove ads