• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Detect/Discern Lie, Ring of Truth, and similar abilities

Jeff Neuhaus

First Post
I agree with the consensus here. Lies need to be intentional falsehoods, not just untrue statements. I especially agree with the poster who said that detecting untrue statements would basically be a 20 questions line to absolute truth and would be extremely over powered.

On the other hand, I think people often deceive themselves on things as they go about their lives. I think the level of self-deception would have to be very deep indeed (basically 100%) in order to deceive the lie detector. Any amount of self-doubt about an issue, if not acknowledged verbally, should probably trip the detector.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
On the other hand, I think people often deceive themselves on things as they go about their lives. I think the level of self-deception would have to be very deep indeed (basically 100%) in order to deceive the lie detector. Any amount of self-doubt about an issue, if not acknowledged verbally, should probably trip the detector.

Yes, they have to know it to be true to not trigger it, rahter than simply wish it to be true.

Speaking of, never get your wife one.

kanker

Villager

self doubt and self deception should fall outside the purview of lies.. at least in this limited topic.. no person can speak something that is biased by belief and have it be 100% true.. "I love you", "we are friends", "I can do that", "I can't dp that"... none of those statements are Lies per say unless the person believes them to be a lie..

Additionally most of what people say would be considered lies of omission or embelishment as well... effectively rendering the item useless and a heavy curse for the wearer.
"This is good food" should become something like "This edible substance which is required for my continued living, something I have been told by many people through out my life,is pleasing to me but maybe not anyone else, in both flavor and smell, but only slightly enjoyable in texture."
"I suspect it would be quite enjoyable and amusing for me to watch someone follow this requirement for 1-3 hours, however I also suspect I would grow bored and desire that they stop doing it soon after."
"That would totally be funny"

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
There's a difference between something being a lie or honest, and being true or false.

If you want a true Ring of Truth, it should only pick up when something is said that's wrong.
If you want a Ring of Honesty, it should only pick up when something said is a lie.

If you want a Ring of Truth and Honesty, well...

Sword of Shannara.

Remove ads