Detect Evil vs alignment?

Kyramus

First Post
IMHO, Evil whether alignment or discriptor would be detected.
A neutral cleric of an evil god will not be detected UNLESS he is in the midst of casting the spell, and even then it would probably look like he's ok but an evil influence is surrounding him.

I've made a chart of creatures that will be detected by detect magic. It's located here.
www.geocities.com/kyramus/storage/DetectEvilChart.rtf
I hope this helps.

hammymchamham

First Post
BoVD goes through about the Objectivity of Evil (or a variant the relativity of evil). Mr. Chef (Monte Cook) says under his variant of relativity that spells like dectect evil wont work, since someone commiting an 'evil act' won't view it as evil, and therfor is relativley not evil.

Mr. Chef's explanation in this part of the book lends support to detect evil detecting a charecters alignment under an objective system, especally since Mr. Chef was part of development for 3rd edition.

So, is the DM using Evil as objective or subjective. If its objective, of course detect evil detects someone as evil. Detect Evil is basically saying 'Mr. deity I worship, is this guy evil?' and you get an answer 'Yes' or 'No' and then a feeling of how strong.

Remove ads