• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Detecting/Identifying Cursed Items

Amazing Mumford

First Post
Okay, usually I don't use cursed magic items in my campaign. They tend to lead to player's not having a lot of fun... That being said though, there are a couple specific cursed items currently in the campaign that the PC's know about and need to retrieve. Without going into the exact nature/specifics of the curse, in case said PC's are scrying this thread; for the sake of argument let's say we are dealing with a cursed longsword +1. Now the PC's aren't foolish, they know better than to handle/fool around with the items, but the question arises when one of the PC's wants to use detect magic and identify on the item... how would this play out?

I know the detect magic would reveal a faint evocation aura for the "+1", but what (if anything) would it reveal about the curse? If you cast detect magic on an item you don't realize is cursed, what happens?

Also, what exactly would the identify spell tell the caster about the item? What would happen if you cast an identify spell on an item that you didn't know was cursed, would it give you that info? Does the identify imply using/trying the item on, which would in and of itself activate the curse??

Remove ads