• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Detection magic in Waterdeep

ameinild

First Post
Hi!

In the FR campaign guide on p. 199 it says: "detection and location magic no longer functions" (in Waterdeep). What does this mean?

Are there any rituals that do not work while in Waterdeep? What is "Detection and Location" magic? When I read the rituals, there are categories called "Scrying" and "Exploration", that I would assume fall under this, but I'm not sure... Please explain to me which of the following rituals work or don't work in Waterdeep:

Detect Object
Detect Secret Doors
Eye of Alarm (detects intruders)
Eye of Warning (detects intruders and scrying attempts)
Observe Creature (scrying, possible location)
View Location (scrying)
View Object (scrying)
Wizards Sight (scrying)

Thanx!

shinobi_guyver

First Post
It may be talking about rituals/spells within the Scrying category.

Perhaps the Player's Guide next month will expand on it or like many things, it is left entirely up to the DM.

ameinild

First Post
Yeah I have a feeling it's one of those "up to the DM" things - then it can't be very important and I'll just ignore it as I see no use for this...

Syrsuro

First Post
In one of the RPGA modules set in Waterdeep, it reads:
Also note the Spellplague rendered detection and location magic non-functional within the city

I would read this exactly as written. If you are using magic (power or ritual, but most likely ritual) to attempt to locate or detect something, it doesn't work.

Is there a particular power or ritual that you aren't sure whether or not would be affected?

That said: I find it unlikely that the boundary of the effect exactly matches the city walls and suspect that there may be regions in the city where it doesn't apply and/or regions immediately outside the city where it does. But as a DM those are mine to determine and the players to discover - if relevant.

Carl

Remove ads