• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Determining abilities for cohorts?

delericho

Legend
They're NPCs like any other, so that would suggest using the NPC array: 13/12/11/10/9/8. That is equivalent to a 15-point buy in 3.5e, or rolling 3d6 and arranging to suit. There's a table giving NPC wealth per level, which I believe is on p.127 of the 3.5e DMG.

Jacob Marley

Adventurer
I wanted a little higher power game for my current campaign so:
  • PCs: 32-point buy
  • NPCs with PC classes (including cohorts): 28-point buy
  • NPCs with NPC classes (including followers): 25-point buy
So Cohorts would be built using the 28-point buy. As far as wealth, I use the recommended NPC wealth-by-level chart.

Dwimmerlied

First Post
They're NPCs like any other, so that would suggest using the NPC array: 13/12/11/10/9/8. That is equivalent to a 15-point buy in 3.5e, or rolling 3d6 and arranging to suit. There's a table giving NPC wealth per level, which I believe is on p.127 of the 3.5e DMG.

Thanks for the help! Although its not necessary and I'm being pedantic, I was looking for a rule somewhere that stated it absolutely, hoping someone knew where it could be found. Your response makes sense though.

Regarding the wealth by level, I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a different way to establish wealth if using an NPC who's level was partly determined by the fact that they were a monster. I can't for the life of me find it now tho, and the wealth by level table should do the job.

Cheers!

delericho

Legend
Thanks for the help! Although its not necessary and I'm being pedantic, I was looking for a rule somewhere that stated it absolutely, hoping someone knew where it could be found.

Try the "Monster Manual", in the appendix about advancing monsters. I think what you're looking for is there. :)

Regarding the wealth by level, I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a different way to establish wealth if using an NPC who's level was partly determined by the fact that they were a monster. I can't for the life of me find it now tho, and the wealth by level table should do the job.

I think that one is in the text around the NPC Wealth per Level table. I might be wrong, though - I don't have the book to hand.

delericho

Legend
I don't have the book to hand.

Okay, I have now checked the MM and DMG, which has cleared up a few things.

Firstly, on the topic of ability scores, the MM recommends that NPCs built with "PC classes" (which would generally include cohorts) should probably use the elite array* - 15/14/13/12/10/8 (or 4d6-drop-lowest). And, per the DMG on NPCs**, such 'elite' characters would receive max hit points for their first die.

On the topic of gear, the MM says to determine the creatures ECL*** (that is, level plus level adjustment, if any; if it's a monster with monster hit dice, add those too), and use that as the "level" for the table on p.127.

* MM p.290
** DMG p.110
*** MM p.291

You're in "Negotiate with your DM" territory.

Not really - per the DMG (p.106), "the DM determines the details of the cohort.", though the PC can try to attract a cohort of a particular race, class, and alignment.

All of which made for quite an interesting read. Seems I've been doing some stuff wrong...

Remove ads