• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Determining EL for Largish Battles

doktorstick

First Post
Howdy.

When the PCs have several NPC allies fighting on their side in a battle, how do you determine the EL of the encounter? The enemy's EL, if calculated by standard, would be much greater than a normal party could handle. But with the allies...

Thanks.
/ds

doktorstick

First Post
I had a thought that may work. I haven't tested it, yet.

• Determine the enemies' EL. Let's assume that for this example, it is EL 8.
  • Determine the NPC allies' EL. Let's assume that it is EL 5.
  • Subtract the allies' EL from the enemies' EL giving us an EL 3 encounter.
Would this work in practice?

/ds

doktorstick said:
Howdy.

When the PCs have several NPC allies fighting on their side in a battle, how do you determine the EL of the encounter? The enemy's EL, if calculated by standard, would be much greater than a normal party could handle. But with the allies...

Try reverse calculation. Figure the XP per character as if the NPCs are in the party and getting a full share. I.e. if it's a party of 4 12th level pcs with 3 8th level NPCs the average level is (4x12 + 3x8)/7 = 10th level. Calculate the XPs for 10th level characters, divide by 7.

Multiply that by 4 and see what CR creature would give out that XP. That's the equivalent EL of the encounter.

Remove ads