• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Deva Avenger

3 Man

First Post
Looking into playing a Deva Avenger. Any recommendations? Specificly I was wondering what does Potent Rebirth do for me? The way I read it is, "If dead you are more effective." Nice, but I'm dead right? Are you supposed to pair this up with another feat or something?:.-(

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I think it means "if you are reduced to 0 hit points but are brought conscious again during the combat." Poor wording, eh?

3 Man

First Post
No, named after the number of romantic intrests I would manage at one time. That was a long time ago, though. Now it means I take care of my wife and 2 daughters. Time marches on.

I thought the power only came into play when you were downed in an encounter, too. Seems kind of limited doesn't it?

DracoSuave

First Post
If you are knocked below zero, you get a bonus until the end of the encounter. Granted, it -seems- pointless because you can't do anything if you're below zero.... but sometimes your leader will heal you. Then you won't be below zero, but the effect's end condition is 'until end of encounter' not 'while below zero' so you'll benefit.

jasin

Explorer
If you are knocked below zero, you get a bonus until the end of the encounter. Granted, it -seems- pointless because you can't do anything if you're below zero.... but sometimes your leader will heal you. Then you won't be below zero, but the effect's end condition is 'until end of encounter' not 'while below zero' so you'll benefit.
Also, devas get to add 1d6 to a save (or attack, or skill check, or ability check) 1/encounter with Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes.

So, roll a 14 on your death save, use MoaTL, roll 6 and you're back, with +2/+2!

Of course, you cannot really count on rolling a 6, but even if you use it only when you roll a 19 on your death save, you spontaneously get up twice as often as most people.

DracoSuave

First Post
Also, devas get to add 1d6 to a save (or attack, or skill check, or ability check) 1/encounter with Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes.

So, roll a 14 on your death save, use MoaTL, roll 6 and you're back, with +2/+2!

Of course, you cannot really count on rolling a 6, but even if you use it only when you roll a 19 on your death save, you spontaneously get up twice as often as most people.

!

I confess, I didn't even -think- of that!

Lancelot

Adventurer
I'm currently playing a deva avenger. It's huge fun.

1) I'm not sure if Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes (the "+1d6" to d20 roll power) works for death saves. I don't have my PH2 on me, but I seem to recall it's a free action - rather than a "no action". I don't think you can use any type of action when you're helpless or dying. The few magic items and powers that specifically allow you to target death saves are all "no actions".

2) ...however, the power is still awesome. In my first session played, I never missed. Avengers already have a good time with attack rolls (rolling twice against Oath target), but being able to add another 1d6 to an attack each encounter makes it even better. And it's a great safety net if you need to make a (non-death) saving throw.

3) I took leather armor proficiency as my first feat... with a high Int (+2 from Deva)... and the Deva racial +1 defenses vs bloodied opponents. I'm intending to take the avenger feat which improves their class AC, so I'll be looking at AC 20 (21 vs bloodied) at level 2. That's pretty awesome.

Bagpuss

Legend
1) I'm not sure if Memory of a Thousand Lifetimes (the "+1d6" to d20 roll power) works for death saves. I don't have my PH2 on me, but I seem to recall it's a free action - rather than a "no action". I don't think you can use any type of action when you're helpless or dying. The few magic items and powers that specifically allow you to target death saves are all "no actions".

Yes it is "no action" which to me implies it is specifically meant to be used with death saves.

Remove ads