• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dewl barsturd swordz yo!

The Right Word

First Post
Kzach said:
As I said, the topic is open, discuss as you see fit. But nobody should be telling anyone else how they should be playing their game. I'm certainly not saying you should agree with me. I'm just saying I don't care if you do or not.

Let me throw mine behind you in agreement. I understand that I'm playing in a world with flying dragons and magic shoes, but man, trying to visualize someone flipping two bastard swords out of their sheaths at the same time? Seems like he'd get stuck and fall over. Besides, I do like a little credibility in my superheroes.

I'm a big fan of 4E, but this is something 3E handled well.

silentounce

First Post
Mal Malenkirk said:
Yet Mad Martigan made it look cool in Willow so it's good enough for my D&D.

I wouldn't call what he did the same kind of dual wielding that we're talking about here. It still looked a bit awkward when he did it, and he didn't do it all the time. It was more like he was making off-hand attacks and regular hand attacks, but not using them both in the manner of a sword/dagger combo. Well, hell, I'm having a hard time explaining this, but you've seen the scene....

Sashi

First Post
Kzach said:
And yet, you don't seem to get it...
Actually you're the one who doesn't get it.

I agree with you: a guy carrying around two big swords and trying to fight with them will quickly become fatigued. I can manage to suspend my disbelief to let this happen in the game, but you obviously can't, that's okay. I disagree that the way to "fix" your problem with being unable to suspend disbelief is to make a mechanical change. Because we have this thing called an "imagination", perhaps you've heard of it?

If it is perfectly mechanically balanced to allow the Ranger to use two Bastard swords, that's why the TWF powers usually let him make multiple attacks but don't multiply the weapon die as much. If the image nags against you, then change the image. He's got a bastard sword in his right hand, and a sword with all the statistics of a bastard sword, but it looks smaller and lighter, in his left. He's literally using an "off-hand" bastard sword, specially designed for the purpose. Problem solved as long as your brain doesn't overheat by using your imagination.

Why would you make this post if you don't care what people have to say about it...

I for one think disallowing someone to play a way they enjoy over a issue of realism, especially in a dnd game, is kind of petty.

mattdm

First Post
Ioreck_Thorinback said:
I for one think disallowing someone to play a way they enjoy over a issue of realism, especially in a dnd game, is kind of petty.

Or, if it isn't meant as petty, can still feel that way to the player.

Kzach, would you feel better if they're magic bastard swords?

Remove ads