• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dex Based Sorcerer skills.

Akaiku

First Post
I was looking over making a new storm sorcerer and noticed that they have all of 0 dex-based skills as class ones. Does anyone know the reasoning behind that? I mean, they get stuff like endurance and athletics, but not acrobatics or stealth or something? Does any other classes not get any skills based on the secondary stat of one of their builds?

Mengu

First Post
Con Warlocks don't get endurance, strength paladins don't get athletics, and those are primary stats for the two classes. So yes, there are a few such class builds.

Akaiku

First Post
Con Warlocks don't get endurance, strength paladins don't get athletics, and those are primary stats for the two classes. So yes, there are a few such class builds.

...Really? 0.0

Paladins not getting athletics but sorcerers getting it is just... weird.
Was there ever a specific method to the selection of class skills that a class gets talked about by a designer?

Mengu

First Post
Was there ever a specific method to the selection of class skills that a class gets talked about by a designer?

Not to my knowledge. We can sort of see some patterns, but the whole background options if you are using them, pretty much negates any design guideline they might have had. Pick the right background, and your sorcerer suddenly has access to acrobatics, stealth, or thievery.

Akaiku

First Post
Not to my knowledge. We can sort of see some patterns, but the whole background options if you are using them, pretty much negates any design guideline they might have had. Pick the right background, and your sorcerer suddenly has access to acrobatics, stealth, or thievery.

Sadly, background+one feat won't net me all 3... ah well...

Mengu

First Post
Sadly, background+one feat won't net me all 3... ah well...

Criminal Background (Thievery) + Ranger multiclass (Stealth) + Cat Familiar gets you pretty close. Since you're trained in stealth, that cat will be the best scout ever with an additional +5 on top of your already decent stealth score.

Or Criminal Background (Thievery) + Bard multiclass (Acrobatics) + Rat Familiar gets you close too.

Add in a race that gives a bonus to one or two of these, and you're golden.

Akaiku

First Post
Was trying to go rogue multi though, paragon path of daggermaster happens to be nice, oh well... Perhaps I will see if I can work my gm, or failing that, take jack of all trades and suffer.

The skills available for classes seem pretty random in the classes that skills are not a big part of their shtick. Like why does ftr get healing (yes you can say that they have been in lots of fights so have picked it up, but then that goes for all adventurers, these aren't 0 lvl ADnDers!).

But IMC the guys can choose whatever background they want to get the skills as class skills from the Char Builder...FR (even though we aren't), scales or the other one. Means that the guys can pretty much get what they want.

I also have no probs with a class not having 'ability score' appropriate class skills. We have found that most skill checks are against DCs, rather than opposed (stealth the big exception) and the revised DCs mean that as long a you are trained or you max the skills ability you are fine (again heavy armoured PCs being another exception). There is not real need for players to max the ability and train the skill to be effective. Certainly no need to focus on the skill, skill focus was a common choice for feat in our 3E campaign, not 4E.

Eldorian

First Post
Was trying to go rogue multi though, paragon path of daggermaster happens to be nice, oh well... Perhaps I will see if I can work my gm, or failing that, take jack of all trades and suffer.

Sneak of shadows gets you thievery, and background gets you stealth. That's what my wildmage did. Didn't really want acrobatics.

Remove ads