• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dex stat modifier- does it add to your Initiative ?

abyssaldeath

First Post
I don't say this very often, but between this post and your post about Con, you seriously need to sit down and just read the entire PHB. I mean no disrespect by that. I think everyone should. It makes the transition to 4e much easier.

Istar

First Post
I don't say this very often, but between this post and your post about Con, you seriously need to sit down and just read the entire PHB. I mean no disrespect by that. I think everyone should. It makes the transition to 4e much easier.

Yeah I know, you are right.

But when you guru's are at the ready with answers in 5 minutes, who needs a PHB ?

Smeelbo

First Post
Yeah I know, you are right.

But when you guru's are at the ready with answers in 5 minutes, who needs a PHB ?
Answer: You do.

Seriously, you need to read the entire thing, backwards and forwards, and beat your head against it until mistakes are the exception.

I've been reading the books off and on since they came out, but only in the last month or so, after actually playing and dozens of re-reads, is it all making sense.

It has changed my opinion of 4E entirely. The framework is very good, a vast improvement over the framework of 3.x, and while numerous problems exist, I can tell you right now that 4.5 is going to seriously rock. There are numerous scaling issues, and as more books come out, increasingly chaotic interactions. I expect after a few years that 4E will come crashing down in a horrible collapse, but what will rise from those ashes will be awesome.

So learn the PHB. Your groupmates will thank you.

Smeelbo

Wik

First Post
You know what? I'm with him on this one. Not all of us are hardcore gamers. Some people just like to play casually - and it's cool if they only occasionally sift through their rulebook. It's really not hurting any of us to answer questions - if we don't feel like it, we don't.

So, let him ask, and let's not pester him to read a rulebook if that's not what he wants to do with his spare time. I have at least two players at my table who haven't read the rulebook, and probably never will. One of them knows very little about the finer points of the game, and I'm cool with that.

So, yeah, I think some people here should lay off, and let the guy ask away. It's not our place to reprimand, or anything like that.

HeirToPendragon

First Post
Then we reserve the right to not answer stupid questions. The Dex bonus is literally right there in the Initiative box calculations on the character sheet.

Istar if you're not going to read through the entire PHB, at the very least do this:

How to read the D&D4E Player’s Handbook

I made all of my players follow those instructions before they were even allowed at the first game. Reading the whole book was optional so long as they followed those instructions.

Remove ads