Dhampir - New Race for review

krocha

First Post
Wow great work here. Just a couple of suggestions comments based on changes I'll be making for my home campaign.

Bloodlust: You gain a +2 racial bonus to attack rolls against bloodied foes. Additionally, you take a -2 penalty to attack rolls for any attack that doesn’t include the nearest bloodied creature. If there are no bloodied creatures within 10 squares, you suffer no penalty to attack rolls.

I'm also changing Frenzied Bloodlust to:

Benefit: You gain a +2 racial bonus to damage against bloodied foes when using the Bloodlust racial power.

I think the two synergize (sp?) nicely with each other this way.

I'm also going back to your original idea for the Dhampir Regeneration:

Effect: Until the end of the encounter, for as long as you are wounded, you gain regeneration 2 (regeneration 4 at 11th level, regeneration 6 at 21st level.)

I thought it was a bit too powerful in your revision based on thge other PH racial abilities.

Other then that (and it's just personal preference) it's a homerun of a class...

Khaalis

Adventurer
krocha said:
Wow great work here. Just a couple of suggestions comments based on changes I'll be making for my home campaign.
Thanks for the input. I'd assumed this thread dead.

Bloodlust: You gain a +2 racial bonus to attack rolls against bloodied foes. Additionally, you take a -2 penalty to attack rolls for any attack that doesn’t include the nearest bloodied creature. If there are no bloodied creatures within 10 squares, you suffer no penalty to attack rolls.
I had thought about the possibility of +2 to Attack rather than +1 ATK & Damage. However, the math of 4E deterred me away from it. A +2 bonus to attack is actually quite strong, especially at lower levels. The only real equivalent I found to support a +2 bonus to ATK were at will powers like Sure Strike. However, these powers suffer the loss of the additional damage normal applied to an attack from Ability Scores to "balance" the +2 bonus to Attack.

Additionally, the race already gains an inherent +1 bonus to Attacks and Damage for all weapon attacks due to their Ability Score modifiers. So overall, making it a +2 bonus actually makes it a +3 bonus to attack rolls in the end. Combined with a +3 proficiency weapon this could result in as high as a +10 attack bonus at level 1.

This is why I stuck with the +1 bonus that had been bench-marked with the other racial bonuses. I'm not saying this is a bad change, but it is something I would be very careful with, and would keep a very close eye on to see how much it is effecting the math.

I'm also changing Frenzied Bloodlust to:
Benefit: You gain a +2 racial bonus to damage against bloodied foes when using the Bloodlust racial power.
I think the two synergize (sp?) nicely with each other this way.
I'm not quite sure I see the change here, other than specifically calling out "bloodied" (which is already specified in the Bloodlust description). Am I missing something on this one?

I'm also going back to your original idea for the Dhampir Regeneration:

Effect: Until the end of the encounter, for as long as you are wounded, you gain regeneration 2 (regeneration 4 at 11th level, regeneration 6 at 21st level.)

I thought it was a bit too powerful in your revision based on the other PH racial abilities.
It is technically based on the "Longtooth Shifter Racial Power" from p.279 of the Monster Manual. I simply altered it slightly by swapping +2 damage with a +1 to attack, which seems to be the common theme in level equivalent powers. However, with you swapping the original bloodlust to a +2 to Attack, I could see not wanting the additional +1 from this power. However, I think the regeneration alone is too week for the power. As a comparison, look also at the Fighter power "Boundless Endurance" on p.78 of the PHB. This allows Regen at 2+CON. That might be a better balance for the Dhampir Regeneration if you don't want the attack or damage bonus in addition to the Regen. However, Boundless is a daily and Shifter is an encounter. Comparing the two I might suggest increasing the Dhampir power to a base Regen rate of 3 or 4 (rather than 2) with no other bonus. This would be a somewhat "medium ground" between the original Shifter power and the Fighter's utility.

Just a thought.

Thanks again for the input and comments.

Remove ads