• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dice Dice and More Dice

Bleys Icefalcon

First Post
I saw a vaguely related thread and didn't want to hijack it - I am a dice nut. I have about fifty of the old East German high impact rounded edge dice, I still have my first old cheap set of low quality blue plastic dice that came in the Basic Rules Box, about every year or so I carefully refill the numbers with red crayon. I have enough chesex dice to choke a legion of chickens, and my collection of six-siders astounds, from tiny itty bitty ones, to 4" solid brass monstrosities I found in Pakistan. I'll occasionally throw one of those at the garage door for effect during a night of gaming. All in all my dice amount to roughly a thousnad or so, though no, I rarely, if ever have them all out. When I play I pick out a set or two, and of course my white on red, red on white tens-tens for percentile. When I DM, all the gimicky dice come out, with weather and hit locations, random dungeon mapping and the like, tons of 4, 6 and 8 siders and a good selection of 20 siders.

An interesting aside, I have also been collecting, for upwards of twenty five+ years now homeless dice. Dice from people who were a part of the group and left, who moved, who quite gaming, and in one case who passed away. Dice that over the years have been found at various places around the house (and in the yard) lost or misplaced during one gaming session or another. occasionally some of the players who feel particularly betrayed by one 20 sider or another will donate the offending die to the basket. Anyway it's grown enough that I now have one of the large indoor plant pots about 2/3 full of dice. There's no rule to their use, and my gamers are free to peruse, take, borrow and use them at will. Many a new gamer to our group the set they fish out of that pot are the set they begin play with.

Anyone else have massive or unique collections?

dramamine

First Post
An interesting aside, I have also been collecting, for upwards of twenty five+ years now homeless dice. Dice from people who were a part of the group and left, who moved, who quite gaming, and in one case who passed away. Dice that over the years have been found at various places around the house (and in the yard) lost or misplaced during one gaming session or another. occasionally some of the players who feel particularly betrayed by one 20 sider or another will donate the offending die to the basket. Anyway it's grown enough that I now have one of the large indoor plant pots about 2/3 full of dice. There's no rule to their use, and my gamers are free to peruse, take, borrow and use them at will. Many a new gamer to our group the set they fish out of that pot are the set they begin play with.

Oh... my... god. For the love of Pelor, could you possibly take a picture of this planter of dice? I'm now dying to know what this looks like.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I don't have THAT many, but I do have enough to fill 2 plastic hexagonal jars about 1 gallon each..plus enough to fill a few dice bags as well.:)

Even though I've been gaming for 34 years, I got off to a slow start on the dice collecting thing. For the first 5 years or so, I just had my original pointy purple set with the numbers "crayoned" in, plus a few dice from boxed games.

dramamine

First Post
Oh man, I was so expecting one of those 30+ gallon terracotta planters nearly filled to the brim. It was a crazy mental image. ;)

Remove ads